PDA

View Full Version : Butchering/Removing interior trim

David_Jennings
06-20-2004, 09:30
It never fails. Every time I try to remove the trim from the interior of any vehicle, I break something. There is always some hidden screw, some strange fastener, or some odd way of assembling the trim that causes me to pull too hard and break something. Anyway, in my effort to replace the seatbelts that my Border Collie ate, I have cracked the head-piece in the back of my 99 extra cab. I probably didn't even have to remove it. I broke all the stupid clips--the plastic broke before the clip gave-way. Before I rip it all out and do permanent damage, may I ask if anyone has a diagram, know of a manual, or have any suggestions? (I hate Haynes!) Right now I have water knots in the old belts, but I've got the new ones now and I'd like to replace them without the humilation of paying a dealer to instll a part I've already bought. Thanks.

DmaxMaverick
06-20-2004, 09:58
Just about any good body shop can help you with that. Most are pretty good about DIY help, unlike many dealers. The body shops are a better source for collision parts, like seat belts and trim pieces.

dieselrealtor
06-23-2004, 20:21
Tool trucks sell special tools for removing the "door panel clips" that so many of the interior panels are fastened with, it looks like a screwdriver with the head widened & turned into a U to get around the shaft of the fastener & be able to pry against the head without tearing it up. Bought mine years ago when I was busting knuckles (mechanic, glad those days are over of making a living).

Snapon, Mac, Matco or some of the other ones that may be in your area probably carry them & others on the truck.

David_Jennings
06-25-2004, 13:14
Thank you for the help and advice. I will consult with a local body shop and buy one of the body clip removal tools. I am flattered, however, by your reference to the expensive tool brands. Sadly, I am Harbor Freight trash.

More Power
06-28-2004, 15:41
I kinda went through the same puzzlement when I stripped the interior of the current project truck - that being, how to remove all the trim panels without breaking them.

I don't know if they changed things in newer trucks, but at least in the 1988-1994 models, the side panels need to come off before removing the top center panel that houses the dome lamp.

The bottom of the side panels should move toward the center of the vehicle after removing the various screws and sill plates. The tops of the side panels have plastic fingers that slide into the top center panel. The top center panel is held in place with a screw on either end (hidden till the side panels are removed) and the dome lamp assembly.

There are also some spring clips that are inserted vertically into the steel roof near the top edge of the rear window.

The previous owner had broken the top center panel when he installed a cell phone antenna. I replaced it before putting the interior back together.

MP