PDA

View Full Version : IC install pics!

99gmccrew
06-20-2004, 13:53
There have been a few of you who are thinking of installing an intercooler. This one may work for some of you. For some of you, it may not. You will lose a couple inches of clearance with this install. I have 9" of clearance at the rear of the IC. I'm not going major offroading so for me it works fantastic and I couldn't be happier with the performance. This entire IC install cost me about $600 and the added towing performance was worth every penny. Everything you need can be purchased on ebay. Just an option!

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=4552677&uid=2319174

Alf
06-20-2004, 18:03
I would love to see more pictures. Which Ebay cooler did you buy?, from who?
Courious as to why you didnt turn the intake to drivers side,thus reducing bends and distance?

markrinker
06-20-2004, 18:18
Nice installation! I like the turbo to intercooler idea.

99gmccrew
06-20-2004, 19:55
Alf, I like the way your thinking outside the box. Have you ever seen anyone turn the intake around. Sounds like a good idea. I'll definetely take a look at that. One reason that I didn't go through that side was I didn't want to block the dipstick. (I check the oil alot) But I never even considered turning the intake. It works very well the way it is, but eliminating some turns and length of pipe would make it a little more efficient. Less friction loss and turbulance.
Its always something!

here is the intercooler I used:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2480529882&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOAB:US:6

Alf
06-20-2004, 20:17
Hmm, I hadn't considered dipstick access. I wonder if shortening the intake neck would clear that up?
I have thought about using a sheet metal scoop afair to help protect an IC mounted there, would help force more air through as well.
Thanks for the link

markrinker
06-21-2004, 10:05
Where do you notice the change while towing with the intercooler? Lower EGTs? Better hill running? Mileage?

Curious to know if its noticeable 'seat of the pants' power, or on the gauges and on paper only.

99gmccrew
06-21-2004, 12:55
Mark, I think it's the way you can keep your foot in it while towing or even not while towing, but climbing a steep grade. I can feel a definite difference in horse power along with the confidence of knowing I'm not going to melt my engine. It's not just the intercooler, but the combination of upgrades that work in conjunction with each other that I believe makes the huge difference. When I compare the performance from when I got the truck last year, to now, I can tell you it is a seat of the pants improvement.
I still drive by my gauges, but I dont need to let off as Fords and Dodges blow by me, like I did before. I actually won a towing battle, up a very steep grade, leaving Palm Springs. I was towing a 24' boat and a golf cart and a Dodge Magnum V8 gasser towing only a smaller boat challenged me on the grade. I put my foot in it and blew right by him! Before the intercooler I could not of done that because of high egt's.
Steve