PDA

View Full Version : 4L80E Upgrades

Craig M
02-26-2004, 14:15
Have not heard much on this Forum about the 4L80E transmission. Is it ok stock with the various chip and breathing upgrades many of us are doing to our 6.5's or does it need upgrades to handly the increased horsepower and torque? New converters or shift kits?

JoeyD
02-26-2004, 14:33
I think it depends on current condition and how you drive. New converter and valvebody will make it last longer as well as more cooling.

markelectric
02-26-2004, 15:52
I trashed my converter in a few short miles with the loads I pull. The ATS triplelock solved that problem. Best towing money I have spent.

eracers999
02-26-2004, 22:22
The direct cluch drum is the weak link, that controls 3rd and reverse.
GM has a updated drum as part of the updates when the unit is rebuilt.
In stock form with the updates they are a darn good tranny.
The good performance chips make em shift great.
Kent tongue.gif

TurboDiverArt
02-27-2004, 20:08
Originally posted by Kent:
The direct cluch drum is the weak link, that controls 3rd and reverse.
GM has a updated drum as part of the updates when the unit is rebuilt.
In stock form with the updates they are a darn good tranny.
The good performance chips make em shift great.
Kent tongue.gif Do you know when the updated drum was made available? Were any of the later trucks produced with them? Wondering if my 1999 has an updated drum in it.

Thanks,
Art.

eracers999
02-27-2004, 22:18
Hi Art;
I learned of the drum situation thru ATK transmissions.
I purchased one of their units for my truck and spoke at length to one of their tech guys and i asked some pretty specific questions and that is when i learned of the drum update. He said that the updated drum was a brand new GM part.
Im not shure of the time frame of when the update became available.
I will poke around for the answer.
Kent

TurboDiverArt
03-02-2004, 18:19
Originally posted by Kent:
Hi Art;
I learned of the drum situation thru ATK transmissions.
I purchased one of their units for my truck and spoke at length to one of their tech guys and i asked some pretty specific questions and that is when i learned of the drum update. He said that the updated drum was a brand new GM part.
Im not shure of the time frame of when the update became available.
I will poke around for the answer.
Kent Hey Kent,

Realized I never thanked you for the info. If you ever get the chance to "poke around" and find some additional information I'd appreciate it!

Art.