PDA

View Full Version : Steering problems

Eddys
02-15-2005, 04:21
A 1996 GMC Z71 1500 with 6.5TD and weird steering problem. The steering wheel is very difficult to turn if the truck is stopped. In other I could barely turn the wheels as if I have no power steering. If the truck moves no problem. I avoid parking in tight spots or else I have to sweat it out. Power steering fluid is OK and the belt is fine. Anybody seen this?
Also I found the steering ratio compared to my Blazer also a 6.5TD is very different. I could pratically turn in and out of anywhere but the GMC 1500 is horrible. I also compared to my brothers F250 Quad Cad which is longer than mine and I can't turn where he does with his. I need alot more room. Is this normal?

Cowracer
02-15-2005, 04:30
Most likely your power steering pump is going. I'd change it out.

A blazer will out-turn a 1500 simply due to wheelbase. Other than that, they are the same chassis.

The f250 is a diffrent truck altoghether. I've noticed that my freinds shortbed crewcab 250 will out-turn me by a long shot

Tim

Eddys
02-16-2005, 05:24
Thanks for your help Tim. I'll have the power steering pump checked.

Barry Nave
02-16-2005, 05:42
How does your brake fell? Pump controls this also.

Eddys
02-16-2005, 08:57
Brakes feel ok. It's weird this steering problem. If I'm at a stand still I can't turn my wheels nicely like on my 6.5TD Blazer from left to right or vice versa. The steering will become very hard and even lockup sometimes. If the truck is in motion no problems. On the road no problems at all. Only when it's stoppped or moving very slow. It makes it difficult when backing with a trailer in a garage or tight spots.

CareyWeber
02-16-2005, 14:00
Originally posted by Eddys:
A 1996 GMC Z71 1500 with 6.5TD and weird steering problem. The steering wheel is very difficult to turn if the truck is stopped. In other I could barely turn the wheels as if I have no power steering. If the truck moves no problem. I avoid parking in tight spots or else I have to sweat it out. Power steering fluid is OK and the belt is fine. Anybody seen this?
Also I found the steering ratio compared to my Blazer also a 6.5TD is very different. I could pratically turn in and out of anywhere but the GMC 1500 is horrible. I also compared to my brothers F250 Quad Cad which is longer than mine and I can't turn where he does with his. I need alot more room. Is this normal? Eddys,

It might be an issue with the speed controlled steering. Look to see it your power steering pump has an electrical sensor / connection (back side of pump).

Carey

Eddys
02-24-2005, 07:53
Hi Carey

Sorry I took so long to answer back I was away and got back yesterday. I'll have a look at power steering pump and see if there is an electrical connector. What does this connector do?

MTTwister
02-24-2005, 08:53
Carey & Eddys - I've read about the speed sensor steering once before, but could use some info. Obviously I need to look for the connectory Carey maentioned. But, if I recall, this was powered by the DRL - fuse? I pulled my DRL fuse some time ago, and don't seem to have any serious problems with low speed steering.

Info and / or setting the record straight would be appreciated. Thanks!

Eddys
02-24-2005, 10:10
Hi Mttwister

I'm a little confused are you saying pulling out the DRL fuse cured the problem or reseating DRL fuse cured the problem? Where and what is the DRL fuse?

Thanks

MTTwister
02-25-2005, 13:02
Eddy's - Actually, I haven't noticed any significant difference in low speed steering - that was why I was wondering if what I had read in another thread had any validity.

The DRL is the Daytime Running lights dealie. I found a fuse in the panel on the left side of the console ('96) - accessible when the door is open. Seemed the simplest way to disarm the feature.
The DRL's seemed to be dang near 100% brightness, and I would forget to turn on the "headlights " cause the DRL's were on. I figured I could turn on my own lights when needed - 2 way roads, etc. Also allowed me to flash lights when a Semi needed to pull in.

tom.mcinerney
03-01-2005, 17:31
I'm voting with cowracer. Just replaced my PS pump, now assist constant, nice.

Eddys
03-04-2005, 08:44
Hi tom mac 95

Were you experiencing the same problems as I was? Replacing the power steering pump solved the problem?