PDA

View Full Version : insistant vibration

roger s.
10-20-2004, 16:51
unable to pinpoint a vibration problem. new idler, vac pump, harmonic balancer, power steering pump, fan clutch. here is the kicker it only does it when you apply the brakes as you are stopping at slow speeds or idling in gear, it gets worse if you turn it to the left. this takes place at a dead stop, at an idle, in gear. i have checked everything on the front of the motor that the serp. belt touches. all run true and no bearing wear or noise. it is coming from the front of the motor so it not the fly-wheel. i should say that it does it in park, idling but not as noticable as when it is gear. i'm leaning toward the air comp. because it is closest to the power steering pump and it does seem to have a very small amount of play in the pully but the ac works. any help is greatly appreciated. glad to furnish any info. thanks, roger :confused:

rjschoolcraft
10-20-2004, 19:16
Check your crank pulley. Read this thread (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=006887) for more information and pictures of a failed unit that drove me nuts. I changed two power steering pumps and thought I had a bad compressor before I found this problem. It sounded just like you described your problem.

Spindrift
10-21-2004, 03:25
Engine mounts? JK has an interesting description on his site.

cruzer
10-21-2004, 05:33
Is the vibration still there when the belt is removed?