PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 Diesel Exhaust Question

bsharp
10-09-2004, 17:16
I have a 1997 2500 6.5 TD with stock exhaust system - 87000 kilometers (54000 miles)

I would like to make some exhaust modifications so it will have a little more power and cooling when pulling a trailer.

I have been told that the first step should be to replace the Turbo Downpipe. BD Power advertises a 3" replacement. They also offer a 3" or 4" exhaust system from the Cat back.

I live in Alberta Canada where it is illgal to remove a Catalytic Converter from vehicles so that is not an option. Muffler shops will not remove them.

Looking at the present system I note that the exhaust pipe from the Cat to the muffler is 2 1/2" and the tailpipe is the same. The pipe from the motor to the cat appears to be a little larger maybe 2 3/4" or 3".

Is there any benefit to putting a 4" exhaust system (behind the cat) if the piping before the cat is approx. 3". In this case would a 3" exhaust perform the same as a 4"?

I'm looking for ideas at this time. No other modifications, other than a K & N Filter have been done.

Bill

KallyI
10-09-2004, 18:08
Originally posted by bsharp:
I have a 1997 2500 6.5 TD with stock exhaust system - 87000 kilometers (54000 miles)

I would like to make some exhaust modifications so it will have a little more power and cooling when pulling a trailer.

I have been told that the first step should be to replace the Turbo Downpipe. BD Power advertises a 3" replacement. They also offer a 3" or 4" exhaust system from the Cat back.

I live in Alberta Canada where it is illgal to remove a Catalytic Converter from vehicles so that is not an option. Muffler shops will not remove them.

Looking at the present system I note that the exhaust pipe from the Cat to the muffler is 2 1/2" and the tailpipe is the same. The pipe from the motor to the cat appears to be a little larger maybe 2 3/4" or 3".

Is there any benefit to putting a 4" exhaust system (behind the cat) if the piping before the cat is approx. 3". In this case would a 3" exhaust perform the same as a 4"?

I'm looking for ideas at this time. No other modifications, other than a K & N Filter have been done.

Bill I went to a 3" exhaust from the downpipe back. I got it at a Midas Muffler shop in Red Deer, Alberta, and they had no problem removing the catalytic convertor for me. They also installed a Flow Performance muffler, and a new tail pipe, all 3". I've not heard of that rule regarding catalytic convertors, here in Alberta. :confused: The car I drive to work is a 1987 Ford Tempo, and the cat was gone when I bought it 2 years ago. The 6.5 ended up with a mellow tone, and you can now hear the turbo.

MTTwister
10-10-2004, 09:37
bsharp - I also installed the BD Downpipe - 3" is about all that will fit in that area. I also gutted the CAT at the same time, but put the shell back in place ( in case of visuals in the far distant future). On the diesel, that CAT is really a Soot trap, which 'tain't gonna help on a emissions test, if you haven't blown it out. After the CAT - 3 - 3.5 " systems would be the optimum - Seems no real benefit to a 4" ( benefit / cost/ power gains as I understand it).
So now, "all" I need is a tailpipe ( maybe a DuraMAx takeoff - like 16ga suggesterd) and about 5' of connection pipe, oh and some spare $$$ !

dstoops
10-10-2004, 12:08
Welcome bsharp,
Early on I just replaced the exhaust from the convertor back with a 3" pipe and no muffler. It sounded like a 440 Chrysler with a mellow exhaust system! At the time there wasn't many choices on the aftermarket. That combined with a K&N filter made a noticeable improvement. I've since installed a Pinnacle system 3" down-pipe and 4" exhaust pipe with a straight-through muffler. Still sounds good...The turbo whistle is now audible.