PDA

View Full Version : weird A/C electrical problem

Cowracer
07-02-2004, 07:18
On the way home yesterday my truck died flat. My first thought was "Oh boy, time to do the FSD two step" But I realized that I had no electricals at all. No radio, no blinkers, no guages. nothing.

Come to find out that my passenger battery was leaking acid and ate through the 5/16-18 bolt/nut combo that I use in place of the stock crappy battery terminal bolts. This let the battery cables come disconnected

The alternator is wired to the drivers side battery, which is then jumpered to the passenger side battery. When the passenger side cables came off, there was no DC to power the truck, hence the dead engine. A bolt and nut to hold the cables together got me home on one battery.

So a new battery cured that problem, but since then, my A/C compressor will not kick in. It was working fine when the truck died.

Any ideas?

Tim

MTTwister
07-02-2004, 08:33
Not really, but I would think that with a Hot cable flopping around you might have shorted something - so 'Fuse Check"? No doubt you've already done that, but hey, at least you got a response....

charliepeterson
07-02-2004, 10:20
Take a look at the small liquid A/C line from the condensor to the evaporator. It runs right beside the bottom of the passenger side battery.

It may have failed from the acid leaking.

tom.mcinerney
07-02-2004, 18:32
Assuming Charlie's disaster did not unfold, and you got past the fuse issue...
GMCTD mentioned in a post a while back that there is a diode in {?} a harness/connector to/at the AC compressor. (Crawling on a limb), this would maybe be to clamp the reverse EMF from the collapsing magnetic field in the mag clutch while disengaging. The diode might have been sacrificed in the battery cable arcing event....It should still turn on; but if diode failed in a short mode, the clutch may not get enough juice to engage. And if it failed 'open' it should turn on fine, work fine; but at shutoff, it may throw a mean surge/pulse, that'll screw up lots of other junctions. [And i thought Charlie P was letting his imagination overrev!]