PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 motorhome application

gphudgins
02-28-2004, 09:28
Anyone know of a diesel GM application that has a lower alternator bracket to compensate for the high floorboard of a motorhome?

RLAM
03-09-2004, 09:10
My guess would be your local GM dealer. The alternator bracket for a p-30 chassis should work.

ucdavis
03-10-2004, 16:41
GP-
I'm not sure what you are asking exactly. Are you trying to move the alternator lower to remove some/all of the motor hump?
What year chassis are you working on?

gphudgins
03-14-2004, 12:26
It is actually an '83 Allegro Motorhome Chassis.
I need to get rid of several inches of width and height on the drivers side that the serpentine system bracket I have creates. The older v-belt system had the alternator on the passengers side and the A/C compressor on the drivers side, the serpentine brackets I have reverse that configuration and with the belt tensioner pulley on the drivers side it pushes the alternator installation right in the middle of the floorboard/doghouse mesh point.

ucdavis
03-15-2004, 14:21
You'll probably have to do some fabrication. One of the cute things about the P chassis' is that GM made some modifications to the add-on component geometry to accomodate the intermediate manufacturers (motorhome builders & the like). E.g. the turbo on the P3 motorhome sets lower and actually has a modified intake geometry from the trucks, so the right side header/turbo mount is slightly different.
Once you get the bracket where you want it, you'll need to get the correct belt. Since these vary by pulley diameter, location of pulley center,... and you're changing several things, you may just want to save some time & buy a too-long one, install it, cut out the excess & then take it to the parts store to match against their stock. Trying to measure the non-stock length of a custom setup is a pain.