PDA

View Full Version : Stubles and smokes at start up

Chris611
02-28-2004, 16:26
I have a '97 6.5L. When I start it up this winter, it seems to start hard. It takes longer to crank and smokes black and white smoke. Last year I replaces all the glow plugs. When it finally starts it take 5-10 seconds for the engine to run smoothly. It also smokes black and white smoke. The smoke seems like it comes out in spurts. Some black then it will all turn white. Eventually it quits. Once the truck is running, it does alright. Maybe some power loss. Do I need new injectors? I'm wondering if the injectors are leaking when it sits so there is unburt fuel sitting in the cylinders? Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks
Chris

patrick m.
02-29-2004, 06:44
tha is simmilar to what mine was doing, mine only smoked white (still does some). It would run very rough for the first few seconds and that was after 2 or 3 attempts to get it to start.
i replaced the glow plugs first, not much improvement. then i replaced the injectors, big improvement, still not the best starting vehicle i have seen, but good enough.
i got performance injectors from JK, more power is allways good :D

BUZZ
03-01-2004, 14:22
Mine starts real bad unless plugged up. Also sets
a 35 and 36 if not plugged up. IF plugged up starts good runs good no codes.

If not plugged up lots of smoke and runs rough and not on all cylinders, unless you put your foot half way in to the pedal. I am thinking old injectors are letting air back in the system. Pump is almost 2 years old with maybe 10,000 miles on it, and out of warranty.
I plan to change injectors some time soon.
Buzz

HowieE
03-01-2004, 14:51
First thing I would check is the glow plugs. Test each one by removing the wire and testing the glow plug spade to ground for continuity. If you have a couple of bad plugs you are getting unburned fuel in those cylinders and those cylinders will not fire until compression heats them up enough to fire. Plugs can test good for continuity and still not be as good as new but it is a first point to test.
During cold weather some white somke is to be expected unless you have pluged in the block heater.

Barry Nave
03-01-2004, 15:21
I would like to see how many problems are over looked on starting problems because the crank pick up is not doing it job. I think my pick up has been going bad for some time.The truck would run yet starting was a PITH! Now it's replaced and the 6.5 is as though I installed a new Eng.
I could do a story on this pick up and tell you how it caused so many code troubles that came from one Elect. pick up.
Change this thing out, You'll thank me ;)

BUZZ
03-01-2004, 17:26
Howie, thanks and I agree, I replaced the plugs not too long ago.
I am curious about the crank pick up, do I need a tech 2 to install or is it plug and play?
Thanks
Buzz

Barry Nave
03-01-2004, 18:06
Buzz
It's a plug and play R&R.
Some may come out though most have been in as long as the Eng. is old.
I am asking, as you have, may have seen,just how this pick up works.
It sure has cleard a lot,I'm saying a LOT of any trouble codes that has been going on