PDA

View Full Version : Loud Exhaust

Beedee
02-28-2004, 16:40
Just an inquiry to some of you who have changed your exhaust systems.
How loud does the exhaust get and how much of a drone do you get in the cab when your making time down the freeway.
I'm starting to put together a plan for the mods on my truck, but I have got to that age when I really don't care for big exhaust noise anymore.
I did a search and couldn't really find much information other then the obvious benefits.
Thanks for any input or information.

markelectric
02-28-2004, 17:33
I did a new exhaust a while back. 3" down to 4 all the way out thru a nothing special muffler. I have a good bit more noise than I want. If I had to do it all again I would get one of those "quiet" mufflers that Bill Heath sells. I have no experience with them but a lot of people on this forum seem to like them.

patrick m.
02-28-2004, 20:21
use 3 inch exhaust, get a "straight-thru" type muffler, and you wont hear it.
all you will hear is the turbo.

I had a sys like that before i got JK's 3.5 to 4inch sys, and it is louder.

Obo
02-28-2004, 23:22
is 3 all the way out with nothing in it gonna give me a decent preformance gain?

Barry Nave
02-29-2004, 02:45
I run stright all the way. My way of how I want it. In cab is ok,out is a low rubble. I have no gain in power because I went to the stright through, If you get as said,JK system is a very good one. Still a stright through system :D

patrick m.
02-29-2004, 06:39
Originally posted by Obo:
is 3 all the way out with nothing in it gonna give me a decent preformance gain? better than stock, of course you should forget to re-install the cat :D unless you have diesel emission testing in your area, then you will need to "clean" the cat ;)

C.K. Piquup
02-29-2004, 07:39
I have a Banks Stinger system on the`92 and it is quiet.You get more turbo whine,but don`t we all love that?It`s not constant,nor is it noticable unless slider or passenger window are open.It`s the sound of a good breathing motor,without the noise.My `95 has 4"BD and sounds like a big block.How old do you have to be before you stop wanting to here exhaust?Just curious.Maybe my hearing will decline at an equal rate so I can still run louder exhaust.Just pokin`

marktara
02-29-2004, 13:16
Has anyone tried running with a muffler, then without a muffler and noticed any drop in EGT? Just wondering if it is worth taking out the muffler and running a straight pipe?

Randee of the Redwoods
02-29-2004, 14:01
I put the 3" Bill Heath exhaust on my truck. Converter aside(we won't get into what happened to that), don't worry about noise, at least not with this. I can barely hear the turbo with the windows closed, a little more with them open. Exhaust sounds like a quite gasser. Too bad the rest of the truck isn't that quiet. Interior, don't worry about a thing. You hear the motor more than anything else. At least that's the outcome of my setup.

Jim H.
02-29-2004, 17:43
I put a 3 in. system on the Suburban. It seemed to help a lot with power, not sure what it did to EGT since the exaust came before the EGT gauge. The Donaldson muffler can go in either way but one way is quieter than the other. I have it in the "loud" position now and from the drivers seat, with the windows up it is not noticable. With the windows down and a good load, I pulled a backhoe from the rental place about 4 miles away, you definitely hear it. Under normal driving I've been told that from the rear seat you can hear the burble from the exhaust. I just put new tires on it that are much quieter so it may now be more noticable at highway speeds but I have not noticed anything around town.

Beedee
02-29-2004, 20:45
Thanks guys, this is the kind of info I was looking for, didn't want to go out and spend a bunch of money and find out that the exhaust noise was going to drive me to drink. Have you ever been in a vehicle that has that drone that you just can't get away from no matter what speed you do???
Really want to avoid that. As far as how old before it starts to bother you, wwwweeeelllll :D :D

catmandoo
03-01-2004, 06:00
well on my 92 when i put my turbo on my exhaust was starting to go anyway so i went 3 inch front to back no muffler and it has what you might consider a drone at about 55mph which if your law abiding is bad,but up it to about 58 and it goes away and is actually fairly quiet,plus has that wicked turbo whine.yeah

moondoggie
03-01-2004, 10:02
Good Day!

I have JK's system on our Sub. I would recommend it to anyone, with a caveat about the muffler.

In our Sub, with the stock exhaust, you heard enough diesel noise to be aware you were driving a diesel. With the JK system installed, you are unaware you're driving a diesel. All I hear is exhaust. With the windows down in the summer, you additionally hear a little turbo whine.

I have found that I am in the distinct minority of Page members: I like my trucks quiet. I like a little rattle when idling, etc., but I l like it when I engage the aux. OD in my pickup & the engine noise GOES AWAY.

Blessings!

Brian Johnson, #5044

Barry Nave
03-01-2004, 15:10
In my case,the EGT did go down but I run with high boost. With my fuel cranked up as I have it and I let the boost go down my EGT will go up.I,m for stright through and the turbo does not let the EX get to bad on noise. My fuel MPG did get a .5 better.

charliepeterson
03-01-2004, 20:36
I installed JK's system last summer. 3" down then 3.5" all the way back with the straight through muffler. I think at about 2400 rpm's the exhaust note is almost gone when the converter locks up. My truck is set up alittle differant than most being a Tahoe. The cab shape was supposed to be an issue with interior noise. I don't see it that way.

Yes I can definitely hear the turbo and the performance change was like night and day. I picked up 5lbs. of boost and dropped 100* on the pyrometer. I'd say the "crushed" down pipe and clogged "cat" contributed.

The install was quite a project to fit! The bigger trucks are alot easier. These trucks run much better when they can BREATH.

C.K. Piquup
03-02-2004, 04:55
Huh?Wud ya say?What`s wrong with a little noise?A person "could"just change the downpipe,leaving the stock system alone,providing the system is healthy.This would not only be economical,but the downpipe is were the most performance is gained in the exhaust.Sure a bigger/mandrel-bent pipe gives better yet results,especially if other improvements are planned.But if not,and you don`t want to make it growl,that`s the most bang for buck.If one more step is desired,install a better flowing muffler,now or later.

Beedee
03-02-2004, 14:28
Little growl would be okay, just don't want a big snarl (coming from the passengers seat if it's too loud) if you know what I mean tongue.gif

morgan
03-03-2004, 12:15
I have replaced the muffler and Cat Conv with straight pipe sections on my stock system. Not really a big deal. I asked my neighbors (nice neighborhood) to tell me if it bothered them. 2 years now, no comments so far.

One neighbor is very interested in the slight turbo whine at idle. He's jealous!

MTTwister
03-03-2004, 13:20
If a guy just went with the down-pipe, what would it take to Gut the Cat? Full body cavity clean necessary?

Beedee
03-03-2004, 14:21
Don't know about diesel, but on a gas pot, remove cat, take big bar, break all of the core apart and dump out. Very dusty, wear a mask

Dvldog 8793
03-03-2004, 16:16
Remove the cat, cut the ends so that they will allow the size of pipe you want to to pass through. Take a straight piece of pipe and drive it through the "converter", weld it in place then install. I've seen just gutted converters rust out really fast. Maybe they condensate or some other strange thing happens. Just more proof that they shouldn't be there in the first place!
L8r
Conley