PDA

View Full Version : EFI to MFI, But Lingering Questions

DA BIG ONE
10-11-2004, 05:08
I quickly tire of all the glitches of the factory efi, 4L80E and AutoTrac and need some expert input that I am sure can be found here!

The efi to mfi is no biggie, now that the PCS is here the tranny issue is no biggie, but that !@#$% NP246 autotrac is the problem.

So, is there any of you who can figure a work around, like shutting down the auto 4wd feature and still use the NP246, or?

Is there another t-case that is a direct bolt in? I see the NP241 is popular in GM's so wondering if it is an option?

Or, is this whole idea too demanding?

rjwest
10-11-2004, 07:37
PLEASE, All the info, results on the Tran controller.. I assume PCS referance is to
the aftermarket tran controller,

I REALLY want tran to shift better and lock TCC.

Almost ready to go for the big bucks...

More Power
10-11-2004, 09:42
The pushbutton controlled NVG-263 HD transfer case used in the new pickups can be shifted mechanically once the encoder motor is removed. In fact this is mentioned in the service manual when R&R'ing the encoder motor assy.

Perhaps the 246 can as well. In any event, an NP241 will bolt on, but I'd check the input spline to verify. As long as a replacment came off a TH400 or 4L80-E, it will work.

MP

CareyWeber
10-11-2004, 16:49
Another option would be the Borg Warner 1370 transfer case the k3500's run.

It has a fixed rear yoke rather than a slip yoke like the 241's have. It also has a standard SAE PTO port on it like manual tranys have.

Carey

DA BIG ONE
10-14-2004, 05:35
Originally posted by More Power:
The pushbutton controlled NVG-263 HD transfer case used in the new pickups can be shifted mechanically once the encoder motor is removed. In fact this is mentioned in the service manual when R&R'ing the encoder motor assy.

Perhaps the 246 can as well. In any event, an NP241 will bolt on, but I'd check the input spline to verify. As long as a replacment came off a TH400 or 4L80-E, it will work.

MP I have evaluated this to some extent. The shaft that comes out of the t-case has 3 positions, can only conclude 1: is 2wd, 2: is 4wd hi, 3: is 4wd low.
I am thinking of making a manual shifter for it. However, I still need to know if the clutch pack 9 clutch, 10 steels will work this way?

I hope 1 of you here on this board can help me here!

DA BIG ONE
10-15-2004, 00:57
Any of you have the shop manual for the NP246 t-case?

DA BIG ONE
10-15-2004, 05:23
Originally posted by DA BIG ONE:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by More Power:

MP I have evaluated this to some extent. The shaft that comes out of the t-case has 3 positions, can only conclude 1: is 2wd, 2: is 4wd hi, 3: is 4wd low.
I am thinking of making a manual shifter for it. However, I still need to know if the clutch pack 9 clutch, 10 steels will work this way?

I hope 1 of you here on this board can help me here! </font>[/QUOTE]Ok, I have dug deeper into this;
clutch pack is mech. engaged while in gear,
shift shaft to the right is 4wd high,
shaft center is neutral,
shaft to the left is 4wd low,
so the t-case spins the front shaft always while in gear.

This NP246 t-case is not the heavest duty unit out there, but does handle 2,200+ ft lbs of torque.