PDA

View Full Version : intercooler charge temp drops...

Obo
02-28-2004, 23:19
For anyone currently running the wonderful over 1k skid plate, how much of a drop in your charge temp can you see. I was at a car show today and there was a guy selling these aredynamic teardrop shape that are frozen with c02 basically similar to the systems that they are selling to drop your intercooler temps that mount on the front and are hoop shaped. Anyway he said that in ideal situations i could see a drop of about 40 degrees. is this even enough to worry about?

Billman
02-29-2004, 06:00
I don't understand what he was selling??

IAT's can drop over 100-150* with an intercooler. I want to say more, but I never pushed my truck pre-intercooler that high. At least that I know of.

The rule of thumb around here is that an intercooler will keep your IAT's 30* above ambient temperature.

I myself have found this to be true...

pannhead
02-29-2004, 09:13
sounds like the rice-burner crowd where they shoot very cold c02 at the intercooler,its good for short duration (racing),light to light or 1/4 mile....dont see a whole lot of this in the 6.5 diesel crowd...it does work well though...filling and paying for co2 wouldn't be convenient though...a cheaper alternative to this might be water nozzles spraying the intercooler,cheaper and easier and at slow speed on hard pulls it may work well, i dont know for sure