PDA

View Full Version : Glow plug controller & '97 Cooling Update Suggestions

duluthsvo
06-24-2004, 17:45
I'm a new member that could use some guidance. I recently experienced a head gasket failure and I'm in the process of updating the engine for better performance and durablity. Any dramatic advantages offered by any of the aftermarket glow plug controllers over the OEM unit? If so which one and who has the best price? Is the '97 cooling update the biggest bang for the buck (@$375.00) or does a guy buy the high output waterpump and update the fan? I've heard of isolated experiences of pressure pushing out the frost plugs with out the common manifold and dual thermostats. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

More Power
06-25-2004, 06:51
GM engineers reported a problem when using a single t-stat, but there have been quite a few people who have installed just the w/pump and did not experience a problem. However, you'll need the complete cooling upgrade kit to realize the full benefit of the 130-gpm water pump.

I've had better luck with OEM electrical components, but the glow relay is a pretty simple device. If there's a significant price difference, it might be tempting to go aftermarket... You could check the manufacturer. There are a variety of aftermarket electrical components that are actually produced by the same company as those used by OEM. The lift pump being one example.

MP

rjschoolcraft
06-25-2004, 07:50
Do the complete cooling upgrade package. I initially did the dual t-stats and HO water pump without the fan clutch. I still had overheating problems. There was an extensive thread on this subject last summer, but it was lost when the server for the forum crashed. However, some of the improvement was duscussed later in Significant improvement in towing performance! (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=005059). Further information is available in 6.5 Performance (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=006650).

The HO pump and dual T-stats improve flow through the heads, ostensibly helping to reduce cracking around the precombustion chambers. It also improves flow through the radiator some. The fan clutch engages at a lower sensed air temperature at the bi-metallic spring so that coolant temperatures remain under control. The fan clutch alone would be a big help, but GM attempted to address a reliability issue with the other components and it is a good idea to follow through with them.

Good luck.

duluthsvo
06-25-2004, 14:11
Thanks for the great info and link regarding the cooling updates. As for the glow plug controller, I was wondering if anyone had any real world cold weather experience with aftermarket timers like the one offered by Peninsular? Good or bad. Both the stock GM unit and Peninsular controller are with in 10-15 bucks of eachother ($75). Again...Thanks

damork
06-27-2004, 19:45
duluthsvo,
I considered some of the modifications mentioned regarding glow controllers, but after changing to the DSG timing gears a year ago, I didn't see the necessity.

1. My truck has over 100,000 miles on the injectors, glow plugs, and glow relay.(AC-60G, all stock components)
2. My injector pump is has 75,000 miles on it.
3. The engine is original and nearly at 190,000 miles.

I started my truck regularly this past winter with no plug in available at times down to -10F using 5w-40 synthetic oil and 2 new batteries (SUV Diehards). I am quite convinced the timing gears can take most of the credit, as this truck has never started and ran so smooth. When it was sub zero, it blew some white smoke, but it never made many turns over before firing up. In most cases since adding the gears it usually crackles to life the instant I start cranking. It would never do this well with the timing chain. Adding the DSG gears is something I should have done long ago. I also did the 97 cooling upgrade with a Duramax fan at the same time.