PDA

View Full Version : '97 Suburban questions

gunner 6165
10-11-2004, 06:32
I'm the new owner of a '97 Suburban K1500. Love the truck, have learned quite a bit by reading what's here.

But I have one question, for now. Where are you getting OEM parts? My local dealer will sell me what I want, but $200 for a fuel filter :eek: I know they're not cheap, but I think that's too expensive.

I'm going to try and get a history on this truck to see what has been changed. Previous owner wasn't much help, he only changed tires. :rolleyes: Injectors and glow plugs, battery terminal mod before it gets cold, gauges and exhaust, maybe get rid of vacuum pump, etc etc etc

Any suggestions from the group on what I can do to help keep this reliable are always welcome.

rjwest
10-11-2004, 07:28
Fuel Filter, just purchased at Advance/ auto parts.

13.00 US $

Read the posts on changing filter,
Write down procedure/checklist, easy job 20-30 minutes.

norm
10-11-2004, 16:53
Sounds like they are quoting you the whole filter assembly, which I just replaced on my truck and paid $147 at local Chevy dealer. Normally you would not need to replace this. I had a leaking heater (mounted on bottom of filter can), and heater alone was not in stock but its cost was $146!!! Who knows, maybe I'm the sucker.

gunner 6165
10-11-2004, 21:30
Thanks for the info rjwest, I don't know why I didn't think of advance auto, there's one in town. Maybe the stealer did quote me the whole assembly, but the guy at the counter said filter. Norm, I think you and I may shop at the same dealer in different parts of the state.

Ah well, live and learn. Now for the lift pump, OPS to add to spare parts bag in truck.

rjwest
10-12-2004, 02:25
If you have a 97 model, the OPS ( Oil Pressure sw will probably never fail, PCM operates lift pump on 96 and later.
Lift pump avail at Auto zone and probably Advance.

My Spare Lift pump is mounted in series with OEM
lift pump with a 2nd fuel filter in between.
2nd pump controlled with a sw. Also Fuel pressure gage on dash ( i hate to break down ).

other spares on board:
FSD, Alternator, Starter, Pri Fuel Filter,
Belt, Fuel Solenoid, Idler pully, and probably some additional parts Ive forgotten.

I travel a lot with a truck camper, just don't want to get towed in......

I try to change parts on a USE basis and save operating removals as spare back up part.

Spindrift
10-12-2004, 03:52
Another source for OEM parts:

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/

I purchase my oil and fuel filters in bulk from Diesel Injection Service.

gunner 6165
10-12-2004, 06:55
Thanks again for the info, rjwest, which filter assembly did you use for in between the lift pumps? Is it one of the Racor filter similar to the ones on DIS website?

I bookmarked the gmparts website. Good info there.

My wife says I can drive my truck today. Guess this one's a keeper. :D

rjwest
10-12-2004, 12:55
I used a perma cool 2 micron from JEG's catalog

filters are 13.00 US, I do not know how they compare to RACOR in quality . The Perma cool filter has a water drain, but is a solid can, not see through l;ike the racor.

( I do have a RACOR on my Aux tank, I transfer fuel from Aux to main tank . )

OVERKILL!!!!!! Aux Fuel gets filtered 3 times.