PDA

View Full Version : Cheapskate's PMD cooler

Cowracer
10-11-2004, 11:26
Well, I finally got the bug to relocate my PMD. My son has (had) an dead car audio amplifier that had a bitchin-cool heatsink on it. I gutted the amp, and pulled my repaired and still functioning PMD off the pump.

It turned out that the fins on the heat sink were spaced exactly right to allow mounting holes without drilling all the way through a fin. :D

But I did not want to use the same old crappy miniature socket head screws. So what I did was (after much soul-searching) drill the mounting holes in the PMD out to 1/4" and through bolted it to the heatsink using 1/4-20 x 2" bolts with big fender washers. To be honest, I didnt know if that would kill anything in the PMD, but I was at the point that I had to make a decision if I were to finish the job before it got too late. As luck would have it, this worked out extremely well.

I used radio-shack heat-sink grease for heat transfer, and bolted the whole unit up in front of the left side battery. I cut and solder-spliced 18 ga wires into the harness to reach the new location, and covered everything with a new wire loom.

The truck fired up well, and every thing seems in ordnung so far.

Total cost for build, $11.83 and heatsink already on hand. I have to go to tampa for the rest of this week, but I will attach pics this weekend.

Tim

GO CARDINALS!