PDA

View Full Version : Installing PMD

Fry
02-29-2004, 12:34
I have a new PMD and I was going to leave the old one on the pump and remote mount the new one. I have the resistor and everything. What I was wondering is does any retiming have to be done when installing a new PMD. Can I just unplug the old one and plug in the new one. Also, can the new PMD be directly on aluminum. Any additional info on the swap would be appreciated.

MTTwister
02-29-2004, 16:10
Get a PMD Cooler to mount the PMD upon.., use the heat transfer goopucky ( "dielectric - r.Shack etc..) check the transistor mounting screws ( finger tight plus 45 deg, torque the PMD screw to 21 "lbs. place heat sink away from engine - Heath sells a plate and a 6 ' extension harness. Kennedy can get you a longer harness - basic length ~ 40" is ~ $90 ( he also sells the beta cooler.

Plug harness into plug removed from FSD on pump, plug into remote mounted PMD ( name change when it's off the IP..)

Location is up for debate - but definately away from engine, and hopefully out of teh engine compartment.

edit - no re-timing unless you move the IP - and if you do pre-move scrath mark alignments - then you should be able to reset it where it was. However - I'm under the impresion that very little rotation has impact on timing - so scratch alignement would be critical.

Would be really 'neat' to get the original off the pump without moving the pump - handier spare - but requires, evidently, a teeny-weeny T-15 setup.