View Full Version : duramax swap

Salemone
10-12-2004, 06:23
Will a duramax engine "bolt in" an earlier diesel
truck? Just concerned with motor mount locations
and style.

catmandoo
10-12-2004, 09:23
just saw an article in a magazine and a guy put a d-max/allison into an 89 stepside 4x4,and i didn't read the whole thing but it said he didn't have to cut the firewall or tunnel,just do some minor modifications,whatever the heck that means,if i see that mag i'll let ya know what it is,it said something like (1/2 ton diesel rocket) right on the cover.

john8662
10-12-2004, 09:30
thats here on TDP, look up DMAX power project articles in the members area of this site, not necessarily on this forum.

http://www.thedieselpage.com/duramem.htm

You'll need your login and password from TDP, not the same user/pass from this forum.

But in short, NO, the Duramax will not just "bolt" into place, its a major modification, but there is sufficient room in the chassis to accomodate the engine and tranny combination. In the article you'll find documentation of what it took, and the major milestones More Power (Jim) had to overcome to get the engine running. It looks like quite a project, and could be a fast truck. I still have doubts about the reliability of the 6.6 Duramax in the long run. They seem to have fuel injection problems, different from the ones that plague the 6.5, but still major problems. I'll stick with my 6.5, as I can actually work on it (and it gives me plenty of opportunities!), but parts aren't too outrageous.

Salemone
10-12-2004, 09:56
Thanks for the info--I think I wll also stick to the 6.2/6.5 series for now.