PDA

View Full Version : Reading boost/pyro gauges properly

markrinker
06-26-2004, 13:47
(Okay, first I want to apologize for all my posts. I am like a kid with a new toy! After awhile, it will pass..)

Never had anything with a boost/pyro gauge before. I expected it to read more 'constant', but am seeing how dynamic boost and EGT are.

At 'stock' spring setting on the Heath Turbo-Master, I'm seeing peaks of 12lbs, and it seems to settle down to average about 7lbs at a 65mph cruise speed. When I let off the throttle, it will fall to 0. Is this normal?

Also, EGTs are about 500degrees at steady cruise. (Sender in downpipe.) Sound about right?

Water temps are very steady at 180 without any load.

whatnot
06-26-2004, 14:55
I saw in your other post that you have a Heath chip. With that, you will want to crank the boost up to at least 10 PSI. (I would personally go to at least 13)
You will like the power difference and it will lower the EGTs.

markrinker
06-26-2004, 14:57
Are you saying that 13 should be what I am seeing at a steady cruise, in the throttle?

Also, I read somewhere that the '97 Turbo-Master should have two springs in the kit, a silver one for stock and another color for the chip. I only had a single, silver spring. Do I need another?

markelectric
06-26-2004, 15:38
The 13 lbs should be at wot under a full load. Boost is in line with fuel..... more fuel= more boost. The cruising at 5 to 7 is normal as you should not be pouring much fuel to it.

whatnot
06-26-2004, 19:44
Not unless you are cruising at 100 mph. Mine does about 9 or 10 at 75 mph or at 60 to 65 pulling a 4-6000 Lb trailer
I just read your other post and see that you are getting 13 psi under heavy load.
Does it stay there as long as you keep accelerating or does it quickly drop down?
Mine with peg the gauge for a bit then drop to around 13. It varies between 9 and 15+ depending on load. I was hoping that the turbomaster would fix it but is almost the same as the vacuum system did. (not quite as bad and I don't completely lose boost on certain hills like the vacuum system did)
When I first installed the turbomaster, I had the spring way too tight. I don't know what pressure it was running since my gauge only goes to 15 but it could really smoke the tires. :D

markrinker
06-27-2004, 05:19
I see you have a Banks turbo. How does that perform, compared to stock?

Billman
06-27-2004, 05:34
Mark

Everything you posted at the top of this thread seem accurate. 5-7psi at cruise. Dropping to 0 when you let off the throttle. And 500* POST turbo EGT readings.

Without an Intercooler, you probably won't want much more than 12psi. Even with that number, you're IAT's will get very high in a hurry. 6psi makes them climb quickly(150-200* easily), imagine what 12psi would do.

Hook up a Tech II and see for yourself...

The EGT gauge is you're friend. Watch it closely when towing. You're sensor is POST turbo...Avoid going over 1000*. Mine happens to be PRE turbo...I can go to roughly 1200*. I went that way to give the gauge more sweep for accuracy. Same reason I use an Autometer Fuel pressure gauge that is 0-15 for my boost readings. ACCURACY.

Plus I like to pin the gauge in hi gear...

whatnot
06-27-2004, 06:55
Originally posted by Mark Rinker:
I see you have a Banks turbo. How does that perform, compared to stock? It was a N/A engine in the '93 so it has less power that a turbo.
I think it is pretty close to a stock 6.5 turbo though. It also has 3.42 gears (and 4L60E trans)instead of 3.73 like my 95 so it is hard to compare.