PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a volunteer...

More Power
10-12-2004, 08:14
A new company called RemarQ has begun offering an FSD replacement called the SOL-D. I've spoken with the design people about their product, and I feel it may offer the best solution yet to improve electronic pump reliability.

In an effort to get the word out, and provide the best possible information, I've agreed to produce a two-part product review on their module. Part I will be an introduction and technical discussion about the product, with as much info as possible that explains why it could be superior to the Stanadyne FSD module.

Part II will be updated long-term, with reliability and status reports about the module's actual use in service.

(added 10/14/04)
It appears RonnieJoe will be doing the actual installation on his 1995 6.5TD Suburban, and then provide feedback on driveability and reliability. Thanks Ron.

MP

[ 10-14-2004, 05:48 PM: Message edited by: More Power ]

gmctd
10-12-2004, 08:42
I suggest Tim Outland, based on his 'how hot does it get' documentation.

I'm considering buying one, from another angle on the prob.

catmandoo
10-12-2004, 09:19
i put on over 60,000 a year ,but the sub is going into storage for the winter in about 3 weeks,otherwise i'd go for it.and my other road unit is my 92 pickup.sorry can't help .

rjschoolcraft
10-12-2004, 10:07
I think I meet the criteria. I put on between 30,000 and 40,000 miles per year (typically). Let me know.

Billman
10-12-2004, 12:18
MP

You can't lose with either choice. Ron or Tim.

Squeeze 2 units out of him...

rjwest
10-12-2004, 12:45
I am not good choice ( too old, forget things ).

I would suggest that if anyone has a laptop code reader or a tech2 and is good at taking data. a before and after install for some of the available parameters may be helpfull.

AndyL
10-12-2004, 14:23
Do they have a web site? I Googled it with no luck.

More Power
10-12-2004, 14:41
http://www.remarqtech.com/

Ron, I didn't know you put that many miles on your 6.5 every year... I know you did a good job with the TorqLoc review. Anyone have an objection for letting Ron give the module a good test?

MP

Kennedy
10-12-2004, 15:11
Ron would be an excellent choice. It would also be good to see one on a NON intercooled truck with it's higher underhood temps. Someone in the south...

markrinker
10-12-2004, 16:14
I have #1 which is bone stock, and #2 which is moderately modified, but not intercooled.

#2 has seen 26K since the motor swap in June. Half of those miles are under tow with average load of 4-6K. FSD is heat sync mounted.

#1 has seen about 8K in the same period of time, mostly towing boats for a 5 location dealership. FSD is pump mounted.

Both will see at least 200 hours of intense operation this winter plowing snow, sometimes running 24x7 with changes of operator.

Mark

AndyL
10-12-2004, 17:42
Originally posted by kennedy:
Superflow Lie Detector in houseJK, love the new sig. Couldn't be more true!

I second Ron.

Turbine Doc
10-12-2004, 19:18
Jim if you have need to test this in Southern climate I would be up for it either when Ronnie gets finished or if you happen to get more than 1, I think I can also isolate the IC so that you can get a representation of effect on a non IC truck. Now if you have a member in Death Valley, I don't expect it to get much hotter than that, it would be ultimate heat soak test.

gmenor
10-12-2004, 19:35
I just used my backup FSD and was planning on purchasing one of the SOL-D's FSD. I put about 25k - 30k a year. I just went round for round with Mark Dionne from Stanadyne and looking for something more reliable. I'll order one probably in the next couple weeks and put it in.

George

WhiteGMC
10-12-2004, 20:08
AndyL
Here is the web site, I had it book marked:
http://remarqtech.com/

Jerry

moondoggie
10-13-2004, 08:32
Good Day!

I vote Ron. This is NOT a vote against anyone else. I know him & believe he'd be a good choice. He's a Mechanical Engineer & LOVES fooling with his Sub. (That check is in the mail, right, Ron? ;) )

I would suggest that perhaps there's room for more than one tester. It would seem like a good idea to try the factory mounting location on the IP, along with other locations. I believe Ron's is presently mounted between his driver-side headlight & battery, which is where I mounted mine.

Blessings!

Brian Johnson, #5044

AndyL
10-13-2004, 08:40
From the picture it looks like the heatsink would prevent it from mounting in the stock location.

Craig M
10-13-2004, 08:53
$416.00?? I think I like the heat sink plans.

Billman
10-13-2004, 09:26
The price is comparable to a New FSD & Cooler.

5 Year Warranty...

Joey Madison
10-13-2004, 09:55
I need a new FSD now. Old one (4 months old) is acting up and it's on a cooler. Looks like time to try this one.

[ 10-13-2004, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: Joey Madison ]

Kennedy
10-13-2004, 10:49
Time will tell how well this works. I've had limited contact/responsiveness from them regarding this product since they solicited me to represent it. If it works it'll be great, but at this point, it needs to be mounted atop an intake on a non intercooled truck in the south and baked just like any other unit would be to prove itself. MP has an excellent plan of attack...

Marty Lau
10-13-2004, 11:03
I too would like to see Ron get one and I agree with Billman that a second should be pressed for Tim. I like JK's idea too, maybe they would provide a "few" more at a deep discount (like 50%) to try and get a larger sample.

MTTwister
10-13-2004, 11:04
T'would be best if that person could take temp readings on the thing, too? Like whosiwhatsie - you know good ole what's his name..

rjschoolcraft
10-13-2004, 19:15
That would be tbogemirep... or Tim! :D

BTW, if I do this, I'll get temps too.

eracers999
10-13-2004, 21:39
Ronniejoe has my vote, i could be a choice but i dont think my fsd will be a problem mounted in the air path of the front bumper. Would be really interesting to see if fuel economy, and performance are affected after install. Any difference. Ronnie could relay that to us all rite quick.

Kent

Turbine Doc
10-14-2004, 05:35
MTT if referring to me the whosiewhathis name for to those that weren't around last time I deciphered my handle, my initials then what I do for a avocation TBO General Electric Marine & Industrial Rep. working on modified jet engines installed in ships and power plants something I've been doing since 1980, 1st as a sea pup in the USN for 6 years, then for GE ever since I got off active duty in 86.

The handle was part of my email address when I 1st signed up, being a novice PC operator did not want to mess up by making changes I wasn't comfortable with.

turbovair
10-14-2004, 16:01
If hot weather testing is an option, I would be happy to help out here in Phoenix with my 96.If an unmodded truck fits the criteria, I would like to help.Could install it in March or April and test it through September(or longer).

N9Phil
10-14-2004, 17:56
I have been using a SOL-D for a little over a month and have a little over a thousand miles on it. :D I agree with JK about testing in a warm climate. When my original FSD started acting up it was not when the engine was cold but after the engine was warm and the temperature was in the 80's. When the temperature was in the 70's I didn't have a problem. Installation only takes 5 to 10 minutes so I think that the unit should be installed on the intake as recomended by RemarQ.

N9Phil (IL)

javadog
10-19-2004, 11:09
I just ordered a SOL-D since I just had my second FSD failure in a year-stranding me and my wife a hundred miles from home on a Sunday.
Anyway, how and where is the unit installed?
How could it be so easy as to only take 10 minutes? Could a person with only basic mechanical skills do it without a problem?

DmaxMaverick
10-19-2004, 12:17
The FSD is a "plug n' play" box. Just mount it within reach of the connector and plug it in. Instructions should be included. Don't forget about the calibration resistor.

The original PMD, if working, can be left in place as a back up, in case the new one fails, or you can remove it. Removing the PMD from the pump is not an easy chore, but can be done without removing intake parts and the pump with a little skill, custom wrench, and a lot of patience. If interested, search the forum for good details on doing it.

whatnot
10-19-2004, 14:10
Originally posted by DmaxMaverick:
The FSD is a "plug n' play" box. Just mount it within reach of the connector and plug it in. Instructions should be included. Don't forget about the calibration resistor.

From the SOL-D website:
NO need for additional calibration resistor and cooler/heat-sink

john8662
10-20-2004, 05:53
Another variable to consider in the experiment would be using stock thermostat temp. I don't qualify for two reasons, I use 180 stats, and have a cowl induction hood. My under hood temps are lower than stock because the engine runs cooler and more fresh air flowing in the engine compartment.

So consider someone with the stock thermostat temps, I would want to see how this new FSD can hold hold up in extreme temps, that way it can prove itself in normal use. By extreme, I mean, these trucks run HOT under the hood!

For the note, I have never had an FSD failure, but I have been running 180's since I got the rig. The previous owner had one replaced under warranty in Arizona temeratures.

sk8rdi16
10-20-2004, 12:45
If you get anymore, I would definitely be up for testing it out in the south. Living in Southern MS, the temps get real hot and muggy. I have not had the Suburban long, so have not replaced the FSD, but I do drive a lot. ~30-40,000 a year.
The truck is all stock except the turbomaster boost controller.
with the stock 195 tstat.

Pat