PDA

View Full Version : Seems I might need new batteries

MTTwister
11-02-2005, 14:54
Went to fire up the P/up at noon, its been sitting about a month, and had a "funny' glow cycle, and then the dreaded 'click' to start. ( or not..)

Was tempted to put the charger on, but with winter coming, I guess I'm due. Original equipments, by the way.

Been expecting then to poop-out, should have done this when the weather was warmer. ( huh - 16ga SxS) I'll probably wind up with Wal-Mart's, and hope they have the 1000CCA's on the shelf.

markrinker
11-02-2005, 15:33
OEM batteries on a 1996? WOW.

With that lifespan, I'd go straight back to the GM parts counter and buy another set!

Dvldog 8793
11-02-2005, 17:21
Howdy
I have red optimas in my '99 they are GREAT! I use the Walmart 1000CCA in my Welding truck and have replaced it 3 times in two years. That truck gets VERY few miles on it so the battery doesn't get much charge time and I'm thinking it freezes up in the winter. The best thing about Walmart is the replacement policy. I have never been questioned. Makes me happy to get a new battery for free! :D
L8r
Conley

DA BIG ONE
11-02-2005, 21:13
Originally posted by Dvldog 8793:
Howdy
I have red optimas in my '99 they are GREAT! I use the Walmart 1000CCA in my Welding truck and have replaced it 3 times in two years. That truck gets VERY few miles on it so the battery doesn't get much charge time and I'm thinking it freezes up in the winter. The best thing about Walmart is the replacement policy. I have never been questioned. Makes me happy to get a new battery for free! :D
L8r Conley I second the walmart, as freezing is an issue up north heat is herein the subtropics.

trbankii
11-03-2005, 04:06
The latest issue of Four Wheeler has an article on the Candadus battery energizers to revitalize and extend the useful life of lead-acid batteries by preventing and reversing the sulfation process.

http://www.canadus.com/

Candadus is a division of Paccar - the parent company for Kenworth and Peterbilt. I've seen products like this before, but the Paccar backing lends this one some value. The article was talking about batteries with ten plus years of life. Maybe something to look into.

redbird2
11-03-2005, 04:43
I have switched to Optimas in all my work trucks we have 118 in our fleet here in IL that was the best thing we ever did I have had 1 fail 2 years ago replaced no problem, I have a lot of drivers that leave there dome light on in cargo area while unloading, this battery can be drained down dead recharged and works fine. on regular batteries you do this many times there toast.

MTTwister
11-03-2005, 09:41
Well, got the Wally-marts - available, and I like the return policy( except you have to pull 'em, of course). Naturally didn't do it in the dark last night, so this am with 3" of snow and icy streets I did the swap. Glad I did the battery terminal upgrade, 'cept I lost 3 of my "caps", so I made more from 3/4" heater hose. A little late for work, and by the time I got done, the streets are melting and I could have taken the Duster anyway. Oh well.

By the way - I did an extended glow on the AC60G's and it fired up - ran it for 5 min. went in and changed clothes. Didn't hit the extended glow the second time - and BOY - was that a cloud! Seems these suckers need at least 5 additional seconds before torching it off.

[ 11-03-2005, 01:03 PM: Message edited by: MTTwister ]

Marty Lau
11-04-2005, 11:01
Tom the Weather is warmer up here than you been having in Butte...(so whats new?) OEM batteries man your living right I'm on my 2nd set of replacements on my '95 but they are doing good and I have been swapping them every year in positions. My A&P/AI buddy thinks I'll get at least one additonal year of service that way.