PDA

View Full Version : oil filter relocation

ace58
10-20-2004, 21:04
Does anyone know of a reason an oil filter can not be relocated to the oil cooler lines? I would like to plug off the fittings at the filter boss.

Hye
10-21-2004, 03:26
From my GM book on the '94 6.5L
" ...Oil is drawn into the pump through a pickup screen and pipe.
"Pressurized oil is routed to the oil cooler in the radiator. A bypass valve is provided should the oil cooler become restricted. Oil flows from the cooler to a full flow oil filter. An oil filter bypass valve is provided should the oil filter become restricted.
"Oil flows from the oil filter to the oil galleries..."
My Sub has the oil goes to an external cooler in front of the radiator.
You would have to work out all the issues with bypass valves... I think there is a setup that lets you remote mount the filter and have a bypass filter too.

JohnC
10-21-2004, 06:36
Ace:

The simple answer is that not all the oil goes through the cooler. When the engine is cold you would have no filtration. Better solution is to get an oil filter relocation kit.

[ 10-21-2004, 06:46 AM: Message edited by: JohnC ]

ace58
10-23-2004, 15:20
My situation is a little different given that the engine came from a dealer that had replaced it with another under warranty for leaking through the block. It was successfully welded but with a filter installed and at operating pressure it still has a small infrequent drip. I plugged the oil feed and returns and the leak is gone. I tried a oil filter relocation adapter and it would still drip. With the check valves removed and a 1/2" allen plug installed between the galleys, I can use the external oil cooler lines to serve my unique situation. Besides the obvious, I wanted to know if anyone knew any reason I could/should have a problem. Thanks for the reply.