PDA

View Full Version : Need a new oil cooler...

RobK
06-27-2004, 18:48
Hey guys, I've been off the board a while since, knock on wood, the 'burb has been running like a top lately. Anyway, yesterday I finally got around to installing a new set of Greg's oil cooler lines. Once I got them in and got all of the muck and mess cleaned up from the old leaky lines I noticed my COOLER is also leaking. It keeps getting wet at the very top so it must have a small leak. So, would the recommendation be to go with a GM replacment or is there a favored aftermarket I should go with. As always, any and all advice gratefully accepted.

Thanks!

markrinker
06-27-2004, 19:12
I happen to have a take-off unit from my '94.

I replaced it with a new one (GM price $250, ouch) to match the larger oil lines needed for my '97 oil spray block. My assumption (incorrect) is that the cooler was higher capacity as well, so I approved the purchase.

After looking at both, I think adapters could have been used and re-used the old cooler. I am not an engineer, and am sure it would not flow as well, but the overall surface area is similar, if not identical.

Let me know if you want it.

damork
06-27-2004, 19:18
RobK,
Some time ago Jim did an article about an aftermarket cooler from DSG (same group that does the timing gears) and showed how to install, etc.

I added a cooler from www.bulkpart.com (http://www.bulkpart.com) named Tru-Cool for my transmission. It turns out that Tru-Cool is actually made by Long Mfg who makes the OEM coolers on these trucks (at least the names were stamped the same on my transmission cooler and the new one I replaced it with).

I used an engine oil cooler for my transmission as it was the largest one I could find with threaded ports (1/2" I believe). The cooler was only about $75. I could stuff another one in place of the factory engine oil cooler and I am quite sure it would work just fine. It was rated at something like 28,000 btu heat rejection capability.

surfbeetle
06-27-2004, 20:44
I was in to air cooled Volkswagens prior to getting my Suburban. In on of my drag cars, I have a 48 plate Mesa cooler to help cool the engine oil, turns out it is identical to the ones that GM used for the engine and trans coolers. At the time it was around 60 bucks. The dealer $250 is outrageous. You can find something similar to it on this link:

http://www.bugsandbuggies.com/Parts.asp?CN=92&SN=56&GN=1

Good luck!

gvt
06-28-2004, 09:15
About a year and a half ago my oil cooler started to weep right in the middle of the cooler. I needed the truck ASAP so I went to the dealer and paid FULL price. Then about 6 months ago my transmission cooler ate about a 2 pound rock off of a gravel truck. I cut the lines and plugged them together to bypass the cooler. This time I went to the junk yard. I found a perfectly good cooler for $5. Lesson learned! Good Luck.

markrinker
06-28-2004, 09:51
Yeah, it was one of those busy days and I wasn't thinking costs. Should have stopped and engaged the brain before approving the expense.

I do have a nice new set of GM large diameter hoses and brand new cooler - would have been ****ed to have a leak on my first trip out, or a partially blocked cooler go undetected for thousands of miles until something failed as a result. I hear these '97 oil spray blocks need all the help they can get.

The guy that did the wrenching builds complete race cars from scratch - so far, no leaks, no problems at all. I fully expected some gremlins. Even the boost was properly dialed in. Expensive, but turn-key and pulling 8,000lbs 700 miles tomorrow without worries.

Andy Chesek
06-28-2004, 13:37
Funny...

My engine oil cooler just started leaking on me last week. Let it go for 2 days, then got a new one from the local Chevy dealer. Paid $90 + tax.

RobK
06-28-2004, 14:07
Thanks for the insights guys. Looks like a few possible avenues. I did check pricing for a factory part that sounds pretty decent at GMPartsDirect.com. They list it for about $90. I've been using them for about a year now for factory parts. They blow the dealer away on pricing, even with shipping.

Thanks again!
Rob