PDA

View Full Version : New Diesel PT 2

radrecon69
03-02-2004, 18:23
As you all know I bought a 1993 C3500 with a 6.5 and it was missing after the previous owner put a new injector pump on it and it was blowing white smoke will here is the deal today when you push the injector pump as far to the driver side you can it will smooth out and run but still no power would a worn timimng chain cause that the chain and gears have a 184000 miles on them.

Thanks in advance

Rick :confused:

rlvelin
03-02-2004, 21:27
Same thing when I bought my truck (the timing was set to compensate for the slack in the chain/gears), I put in a timing gear set and set the pump back to the scribe mark. The power and throttle response increased some (not a lot, just a noticable difference). Mine was never missing but the white smoke did decrease some, I still have some glo plug and/or injector issues that I need to work out.

radrecon69
03-03-2004, 17:54
has anyone into these with timing chain

radrecon69
03-03-2004, 17:56
has anyone ran into these problems with a timing chain

Rick

Dvldog 8793
03-03-2004, 19:00
Haven't had your problems but IF you do pull the chain set, replace it with a set of gears. ;)
L8r
Conley

tom.mcinerney
03-03-2004, 20:04
1.) Don't recall exact description such problem...
2.) The timing set is due for replacement...but
3.) the Inj Pump may be worse out of time than valves.
4.) Many engines have run further in good condition, so you might want to do some checks to see where your's is at. If there's adequate compression, then the valve timing (and timing set) are close enough---so maybe worth doing a compression check, as that will give some clues to start. If OK there, then set/check pump timing, and/or determine if white smoke caused by head gasket/cracked head(s)/cracked block {or just weak glow plugs if only smokes at start}.
>>Compression check under controlled conditions (ideally in a shop that has tested lots other engines this type) is easier than pulling heads or timing cover, and provides the most important indication, and a good starting point!

rlvelin
03-04-2004, 11:58
I guess I should clarify, my problem was because of the timing chain/sprocket stretch and wear. When I replaced them I put in the gears so I would not have to worry about the stretch/wear and can eliminate that for any future troubleshooting. Since the pump runs off of the timing set, you can have valve timing that is only a little off but the injection timing will be farther off (it needs to be a little more precise than the valve timing).

Like Tom said a compression check is a good starting point and is probably easier and cheaper than replacing components at random.

S\W Off Road
03-04-2004, 13:57
Soundsmore like you installed the pump off by one gear tooth. I did the same when I installed my gear drive set and after moving the gear one tooth the opisit direction that I was turning the pump it started up and ran fine. But you know this and just wanted someone to conferm it for you. Yep, you did it too ;)

radrecon69
03-04-2004, 14:21
Rivlin

I am not going to put the Phazer gears on this engine not with high milage that it has and the noise I understand it can deafen out my 1000 amp stereo ;) Though I am planning on putting it on my engine in my Suburban (it is brand new less than 14000 miles on it) The pump was checked and the timing marks where aligned so if it a blown head gasket, low compression I will yank that engine out of my Suburban a heartbeat and put it in my C3500.

radrecon69
03-12-2004, 17:16
Just got it back from the mechanic today and it still runs like crud it still missing it will idle good but as soon as you give it fuel it will start missing and it doesn't clear up. Now he said he thinks it is a lifter problem and a camshaft problem I don't know here is what has been done

new ijector pump
new injectors
new timing chain

it is perfect timing so does camshaft sound like it is in order?

Thanks for all of the advice

Rick

tom.mcinerney
03-15-2004, 20:48
Radrecon--just saw this. Although the roller rockers in these are very reliable, there have been a number of instances when one screwed up....

RLAM
03-16-2004, 15:14
I have gears on a gas motor that I built and they are noisy as h---. I like it.Wife hates it.I was thinking of going to gears on my 6.5td, but don't want to **** off the wife. Are they noisey?