PDA

View Full Version : Solid Flywheel/Wiper Motor Problem

A||||0||turbovair||Rebuilding a turbo||||8||||turbovair||00009986
03-02-2004, 18:35
I just switched to a solid flywheel setup...not too much vibration but do I need a damper? I've heard you need one, and you don't...I guess I'll get one if it really makes a difference. Also, my wipers only work sometimes; I have to tap on the motor assembly to get them to work...What can I do to FIX this for good?!?

Thanks for any advice,

Jason Rawlings

rlvelin
03-02-2004, 21:38
For the wipers, remove the black cover with 3 torx screws (probably the piece you have been tapping on). Remove the circuit board and re-solder the connections for the harness plug. You may be able to see the cracked connections with the naked eye or a magnifying glass. I also sealed the cover, when I replaced it, with RTV.

TurboDiverArt
03-03-2004, 03:17
Originally posted by rlvelin:
For the wipers, remove the black cover with 3 torx screws (probably the piece you have been tapping on). Remove the circuit board and re-solder the connections for the harness plug. You may be able to see the cracked connections with the naked eye or a magnifying glass. I also sealed the cover, when I replaced it, with RTV. Hum,

I too have an intermittent working wiper motor. Sometimes works sometimes doesn't. Seems that once it works it's good for a while (at least until I get to my destination). I

DmaxMaverick
03-03-2004, 03:53
There is an ongoing "silent" recall on the wiper motors, but I'm not certain that '93 is included. My '95 is. Check with the dealer. If your truck is included, you'll get an updated OEM replacement, installed, at no charge.

rlvelin
03-03-2004, 09:38
I had the hum exactly as you describe it, like the motor was bound up or something, the re-soldering fixed it. I think '93 is included in the "silent" recall, but I found that the 15 minute fix is probably easier than a trip across town and whatever paperwork and/or other hassles may be included.

whatnot
03-03-2004, 21:28
It is only certain vins that are covered by the recall. My 95 and my brother's 94 for had the problem but wern't covered.
To find the bad solder joint, just remove the cover, turn on the wipers and then wiggle the plug. You should be able to see it spark.

GMCfourX4
03-04-2004, 07:37
I don't think I have the letter anymore that GM sent me on the recall, but be aware that the control circuit AND the motor are covered. The stealership I took my truck to tried to tell me I'd have to pay for a new motor, and when I read them the letter again, they called back and said "Oh, it looks like the motor is fine after all!" :mad: They also managed to stall my truck trying to move it in the shop (I've started in 3rd gear by accident, and once I had a brain fart and forgot to take it out of 2nd before I took my foot off the clutch, and the truck shot up a steep hill without stalling... so I have NO idea what this guy was doing....). You can try this link to see if you can view the recall (I mean, "Special Warranty Coverage".... they don't call it a recall...) Recall Info (http://www.alldatadiy.com/alldata/AFI~V3109424~C26371~R0~OD~N/0/41746678/42420879/42420900/42420932/34853741/34850750/42103745/56955529/98980271/98875008)

-Chris

kowsoc
03-05-2004, 05:33
For my 94 there is an updated wiper control circuit board but I found it easy to fix my old one. If I remember correctly there were 3 broken joints that were visible...so I just touched up all of them. My wiper motor would also make weird noises sometimes when they wouldn't work. Re-soldering fixes it all. This was one of the first fixes I found on this page.....gotta love it! ;)