PDA

View Full Version : Burbie's Burbling

Thermal Jock
08-16-2004, 05:20
Climbed up a pass Friday, and about half way up she started losing power. Usually I can climb it at 50, but I was doing 30 when I pulled out of the way of the long line of leaf-lookers angry that I had slowed them down. My EGT's reached 1000, and my engine temps got just over 200.
I noticed the engine wouldn't rev right. Sounds like a misss in the mid range rpms, and the engine "burbles" its way up to 3000 revs or so.I drove back to town and changed the fuel filter right then, but that changed nothing. So I limped home 2 hours and parked it.
It starts and runs good when cold. Idles smooth. Still have the"miss" on revving.Only a very slight amount of grey smoke at 3000 rpms. After driving a while, the engine power decreases
After I shut it off when hot after turbo cool down, go into a store or somewhere, come out and restart, it doesn't want to idle. Have to give it a little gas to keep running. Engine is still warm at that point. Can't hear any "bad" sounds like ticks or metallic noises. I did notice a slight amount of fuel on one of the injector lines, and maybe a small amount of fule from one of the return lines. SOOOO----- I'm guessing I got air in the lines, or a fuel problem, or a bad injector, what's the best way to diagnose this?
Thanks in advance---

Stray Cat
08-16-2004, 10:12
I would first address the leak from injector/return line. If you have an injector that is not seated and sealed, you may lose some compression. If that doesn't affect it, I would suspect a bad injector or pump/distributor. Air in the lines should not be constant. I occasionally get a little vapor-lock (air bubbles from fuel boiling in the lines) after a short stop when running hard in hot weather, I force the idle for about 15 seconds after starting, and it smoothes right out and runs fine. If you are getting vapor-lock that bad, I would look to see if you have a fuel line that has lost it's mount and moved closer to exhaust; I would also check for an exhaust leak that is blowing on your fuel lines.
I have a question for you! Where did you find an after-cooler for your 6.2L Banks system? I have been considering that, but can't find one. Was there a noticeable difference in power?....EGTs? Boost? How much boost do you have with the after-cooler? Thanks! smile.gif

Thermal Jock
08-16-2004, 16:10
Jist got home and crawled in the hood. The fuel line form the fuel pump to the filter had a nasty area. I replaced that, now it seems to run a little smoother. Took it on a 15 mile run, pulled some hills. Still has a lack of power, and surges and shimmies a bit when I rev it.
Intercooler was off a race car. I had EGT isuues pullin hills. Lokked at headers and different exhaust systems, but the price was right for this cooler--$25. My front bumper was tweaked, so I pulled the bumper, mounted the cooler where tne bumper was, and built a bumper back around the cooler. Built louvers and used rabbit hutch screen to protect it. Looks cool, sure gets a lotta head scratchin looks. Piping it wasn't bad, rotate the turbo over, and two 45' 2 1/2in exhaust tubing can get just about anywhere.
After warmed up, I used to idle at 325 EGT, Now its 225 or so. Pulling grades (5-10 mile 5-7% grades at 10k) I'd have to back out the pedal to keep egt's below 1000 at about 45-50mph, now it's 55 mph. I did lose a couple pounds of boost. I max out at about 6 psi, used to be 8. But the Banks turbo never was worth a crap at low rpms anyway. I do have more torque at low rpms than I did before. Just cooler air.
So I guess I'll start crackin injector lines to see what causes a miss. Gotta a feeelin it's an injector. Thanks!