PDA

View Full Version : Wheres the Temp. Sender Unit?

SteveMc
11-05-2003, 17:25
Just installed new injectors and they are doing fine. Noticed the temp gauge is not working. Was fine before the injector change. Is the sending unit the bulb located in the head all the way in the back below the # 8 glow plug?
I thought it would be a one wire bulb, but can only find two wire units. One above the water pump the one below #8.

Thnks SteveMc

87 Suburban 6.2 with Origional
Banks Turbo & 6.5 Injectors

CleviteKid
11-05-2003, 18:35
On my 1984, the temp. sender is on the driver's side head, at the front end, outboard on the exhaust manifold and glow plug side of the head, near No. 1 glow plug and injector. It is diagonally opposite the one you found on the rear passenger side head at No. 8, because the heads are interchangeable side-to-side, and the same port ends up in these two places.

The switch you found on the rear outboard passenger head is the switch controlling the fast idle and the housing pressure cold advance (HPCA).

Dr. Lee :cool:

SteveMc
11-06-2003, 06:06
Thanks Doc

I went right to it. Under the A/C comp. Right away I thought I had knocked the wire off when changing the injector. But not so. Grounding the wire didn't make the gauge move to hot. So will be wringing out the system. When key is turned on the gauge does move, but in wrong direction, just a tad. This will be fun!!

Thanks again SteveMc

da4wheeler
11-06-2003, 16:44
This leads into an interesting question. I put my mechanical temp sender in the glow plug controller position. I can't get the thing to read much hotter than 160 degrees. When I was hauling a load up the mountain freeways at wide open throttle in 3rd gear, I got it up to almost 175. If I move the sender to the stock location, will it read higher/more accurate temps? I suspect that perhaps this truck I bought has a stuck open or nonexistent thermostat. I will be flushing and changing coolant soon, at which time that will be confirmed. What are the chances that my truck is really running at 160 degrees when it is 95 out?

It's an 83 K10 Auto with AC

SteveMc
11-06-2003, 18:52
Temps on diesels are real important. My old Fordson Diesel owners manual tells you to take the water to the tractor, Don't take the tractor to the water.

For your mechanical probe I would try to get into the head. NAPA has all kinds of brass fittings that can do the job.

My temp started working after I cleaned up the connector.

By the way, If Doc is on. Do you know the temp the switch probe in the head for the fast idle and HPCA is suppose to switch on?

SteveMc

87 Suburban 6.2 w/Banks Turbo & 6.5 Injectors