PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Performance Update!!

arveetek
08-27-2004, 12:44
I've logged around 4000 miles since my turbo installation, including my RV trip to Colorado. I haven't had a single problem, other than a few minor bugs that I got worked out at the beginning. No blown head gaskets, no blown rear main seal, nothing of that sort.

Today I turned the injection pump up another 1/4 turn. I didn't turn up the pump when I first installed the turbo, because I had previously turned it up a 1/4 turn when running N/A. So I now have turned up the stock 4126 pump a whole 1/2 turn. Let me tell you, what a difference that makes! I was smoking like a freight train before the turbo, showing that I didn't have enough air. But after the turbo, no visible smoke at all showing not enough fuel. Now I can smoke some on take-off, and now I can burn some rubber! With the new 31" tires, I just couldn't get them to break loose on dry pavement before. But now, if I powerbrake, I can get the tires smoking! Yee-ha!

Before the pump adjustment, I could only build about 2 lbs of boost while powerbraking. Now I can build about 5 psi. That makes a lot of difference. I've also hit near 15 psi at full throttle. My EGT's rose some, of course. I could only hit 1100 degrees while pulling hard all day long with the trailer. Without the trailer, I could never get above 975. Now I can hit about 1000 degrees without too much trouble. That's just about where I want it.

Man, if installed a 4911 pump, some high-performance injectors, and an intercooler, there's no telling how much fun I could have! And this is all with a stock '82 motor!

My next project, actually, is to start on an intercooler. I think I've got enough boost to warrant it and have it be useful. After that, perhaps some fuel injection upgrades. And then after that, perhaps a better, waste-gated turbo.

Casey

Proud owner of a hot-roddin' 6.2L Turbo Diesel! :D

4x4Dreamer
08-27-2004, 12:57
"you gonna start mine next?" he said in his sleep as he dreamt of the power and the fury and realizing he'd have to do it his own damn self. :D

john8662
08-27-2004, 20:33
Casey,

Man, you're making me want to put my newly acquired ATS turbo kit on my ol 86 chevy truck. The 86 is my baby and I didn't ever want to put a turbo on it, such as it might shorten the life of the engine. But after looking at my turbo stuff (one Banks and an ATS) I think I have decided to install the ATS kit and not the banks kit on my 6.2. I found the ATS after buying the banks stuff. I'll save the other banks kit for later on down the road (like another diesel truck, like I need any more). But seeing your success with a turbo, and me wanting a little more power, I think I'll go ahead, heck every thing else is turbo'ed (or will be). Glad to see your happy with the turbo 6.2.

John