PDA

View Full Version : Roadside FSD repair?

sturgeon-phish
07-02-2004, 15:43
Tonight my truck failed to startup warm for the first time. I've got 75500 miles and wondering if it may not be the original FSD going. Problem is next Wednesday I'm using the truck to pull my camper ~300 miles. If it dies on the road, what should I do? Thanks
Jim

tom.mcinerney
07-02-2004, 18:15
This may not sound high-tech, but has saved many drivers a lot of time: Bring plenty room-temp water. Pour a glassfull over the FSD, or entire FIP . Frequently by cooling, operation is restored. If the FIP is worn, this trick may only work for a couple hundred miles. A full fuel tank provides better FIP cooling than one 1/4 full.
It's time to carry a spare, new FSD, and have a plan to install it!
It wouldn't hurt to check lift-pump/OPS action. Priming FIP with LP before starting may help startup.

CareyWeber
07-03-2004, 03:04
Originally posted by Jim Sturgeon:
Tonight my truck failed to startup warm for the first time. I've got 75500 miles and wondering if it may not be the original FSD going. Problem is next Wednesday I'm using the truck to pull my camper ~300 miles. If it dies on the road, what should I do? Thanks
Jim Jim,

I don't think a FSD swap is a roadside adventure I want to try. ;)

I had to remove my intake to get mine out and even then it was a pain. You would have to have a torx bit cut down and welded to a piece of steel before hand too.

I'd R&R it before hand and be done with it.

I think the only way to make them hot swapable (IT term) is a cooler mount FSD.

Carey

Randee of the Redwoods
07-03-2004, 06:39
Ok, then. This is a very interesting question and I'd like to delve into it a bit further. Let's say you're like me and do not carry a spare and it's still mounted on the pump(hey, so far so good). Let's say the truck DOES stall on the road and not restart. Is there a hotwire trick to get the truck started maybe to bypass the unit? I dont' normall carry room temp water around either. Quite possibly is there a bypass trick to get this engine started?

autocrosser
07-03-2004, 08:18
I carry a spare FSD and tools to get the connector loose from it. I just had a pump replaced on warranty so it's on the pump. I have one mounted on a cooler which is already mounted on the engine.

It's not too hard to remove the connector fom the FSD if you work at it. I use a tool to lift the latch on the connector and a long medium size screw driver to pry it off the FSD. I easily re installed the connector on the failed pump mounted FSD (in the dealers parking lot)when I took it in to the dealer on warranty a couple of month ago. I was using the spare until I could get in to them.