PDA

View Full Version : This might be a silly question, but...

NH2112
11-11-2003, 19:59
I'm looking for a set of 13" backing plates for my 14-bolt FF rear (it currently has 11" brakes on it.) The axle came from a 73 and is in an 85, but the 13" backing plates for both are obsolete and out of stock. Is there any reason that backing plates (and hardware, shoes, etc) from a later 14-bolt FF can't be used?

tpitt
11-12-2003, 06:08
N2112,
The later years will work, but what will be different is the emergancy brake cables. You need to determine what type of cables you have and the way they exit from the backing plates. Also there are different backing plates for the 3.5 by 13 inch brakes. I have done this a couple of times. tpitt

on edit: You can also use the backing plates off of a semi-floater.

NH2112
11-13-2003, 15:41
The ones from a semi-floater will work on the FF? How about all the FF parts such as shoes, wheel cylinders, etc? I know the SF 14-bolts have huge brakes but I've never had an SF and an FF stripped side-by-side to do a comparison.

tpitt
11-13-2003, 19:40
n2112,
Yes to all of your questions. There are also 3 different sizes of brakes for the full floater. 11" and two 13" I don't remember the width on the one 13', but the wide ones are 3.5". See my sig.in above post. The 3.5" are off of a one ton.
You will have to get ff drums for whichever width you chose. Also the 3.5" take a special backing plate. I was able to order these new from the dealer in our area. I'm sure I have some extra 13" backing plates for the std. width 13" brake probably with two different styles of emerg. brake cables. 1973 and 1987. I have converted 3 different rigs, and the biggest problem I found is that G.M. used various emerg. brake cables through the years. Hope this helps. tpitt

NH2112
11-13-2003, 21:00
The axle is from a 73 and has the 11" brakes, and I'd like 13" brakes - the 3.5" wide ones from a dually would be nice. I'll probably hit a couple salvage yards to see what's available. I know exactly what you mean about parking brake cables, the ones for this axle bolt through the backing plate and are the same left and right. I'd have to convert to the older-style setup to do this right - front cable, equalizer cable, and 2 rear cables. Seeing as I'm going to put bucket seats in the truck that might just be the easiest way to go, with a parking brake lever next to the driver's seat.

da4wheeler
11-14-2003, 18:40
That sounds like a lot of work and parts searches. Why not just toss on some discs?

NH2112
11-15-2003, 04:44
I thought of discs and am not sure that they're up to stopping a loaded pickup. They are front rotors and passenger car calipers, after all, and neither of them are designed to stop an extra ton or so above and beyond the vehicle's weight. Maybe I can find rear disc setups from a later-model 2500HD/3500 and adapt them, however. For now I'm sticking with my 11" brakes and will upgrade to 13" drums (or HD discs) if and when I'm able.

Dieselboy
11-15-2003, 09:12
There are heavy duty discs readily avaiblable, but you do loose the parking brake at the wheel with that conversion. A driveline brake would be your only option to keep it street legal.

I though about that swap for my suburban, since it used regular front GM truck rotors for the back from an 8 lug 10 bolt with matching calipers, but decided to go with 13x3.5" drums for my 14FF to keep the parking brake. Everything has worked out great. The extra stopping power does make a difference, and the availability of parts is a much better.

A word of caution: stay away from pre-83 backing plates. They use an external parking brake cable, and no parts are manufactured for that style. Look for the later style "press in" type bakcing plates.

I have some pictures taken of the process on my website; I'll do a wrteup after finals. ;)

Linky (http://www.oliverdiesel.com/images/brakes/)

TonyL
11-20-2003, 09:30
I HAVE REAR DISC KITS AT A NUMBER OF WEB SITES AND THEY ALL CLAIM THAT YOU USE CADILAC REAR CALIPERS THAT HAVE A PARKING BRAKE IN THEM HEAR AR SOME LINKS, I'M NOT QUITE SURE IF I WANT TO DO IT YET.

http://www.bluetorchfab.com/

http://www.tsmmfg.com/

http://www.shakerbuilt.com/index.html

TONY

TonyL
11-21-2003, 06:23
i have seen the kits, i do not have one yet.

Dieselboy
11-21-2003, 06:37
There was a lot of discussion about this is the 6.5TD forum prior to the meltdown.

I know several people that have used the Cadillac rear calipers, and they have all had difficulties with them holding the trucks still on an incline. Those calipers just don't seem to be able to hold anything heavy. Most of the guys using them are those with blazers, so if a 5500 lb blazer can't be held on an incline, then the Cadillac calipers don't stand a chance against most of our trucks.

There's plenty of information over at the ColoradoK5.com (http://www.coloradok5.com) forums. Just do a search.

Jesse at highangle driveline makes a driveline brake, and it seems to work pretty well, though I haven't seen it used in anything heavier than 6000 lbs.