PDA

View Full Version : Where to order a 700 R4 tranny

Coketruck
09-01-2004, 09:49
Hello,
My buddy needs a rebuilt Th700 R4 for his 1991 6.2 Diesel Suburban.
Do you know a good and trust site for order one?
What do you think about the Submmit trannys?

Thanks for your help.
Regards.

Dieselboy
09-01-2004, 11:34
I like my Art-Carr.

For a performance T700 - Art-Carr
For a straight replacement - GM Goodwrench (comes with a fat warranty)

jcomp
09-01-2004, 20:08
I've had bad luck with TCI 700-R4 transmissions. I had to warranty mine twice and each time they took an entire month to get it back to me.

moondoggie
09-02-2004, 05:44
Good Day!

My weak memory remembers a company named (I think) Jet that rebuilds 4L80-E's & guarantees them to 700 lb/ft. It would stand to reason that if they do 700R4's, they're probably stout also.

I think Dr. Lee did an article in the last year or so about his 700R4 being rebuilt by a fellow down his way that only does light truck trannies, perhaps only GM. I'd search the recent articles still available on the Page, or look at the synopsis of reprints & buy at least the one you need. If this guy's 700R4's will stand up to the good Dr.'s motor, I don't think they will break for any of us. :D

Blessings!

Brian Johnson, #5044

JeepSJ
09-02-2004, 11:48
I got mine through Art Carr. They were the only company that I found who builds a diesel specific unit. I got their diesel towing special that is rated at 700+ ft/lbs, along with one of their HD diesel locking converters.

mhagie
09-02-2004, 17:47
Bowtie overdrive, www.700r4.com (http://www.700r4.com) built mine a level 3,no complaints as yet, never flinched when told it was for a diesel.........Merle

Larry Andrews
09-02-2004, 19:48
Originally posted by mhagie:
Bowtie overdrive, never flinched when told it was for a dieselWow...the guy at BowTie told me they weren't interested in my business when I asked if they would build a tranny for a diesel. <shrug>

I've heard they had a change of ownership. Perhaps it might be worth calling again? If for no other reason than they're local.

jbell
09-03-2004, 05:05
maddog-transmissions.com will build you one certified for more than 400ft.lbs $995 with free shipping, 50 dollar upgrade for the brazed fin converter is well worth it as well. Ask for Lou.

Coketruck
09-03-2004, 12:21
Thanks for all these adresses.I,ll start to send E-mails.
The trouble of the Burban is, that someone stole it and abused it until to burn the Tranny.Now does not shift the OD .To repair this tranny here in Spain,costs more than two rebuilt trannys in the US.
If you know any other site will be welcome.
Thanks for your help.

mhagie
09-03-2004, 18:06
I don't have a clue as to why they blew you off,mine was bought about a year and a half ago from Steve Holmes.
The main internal diference in a diesel and a gasser tran is the governor,and a lower stall speed torque converter.
The factory diesel units have a slightly different valve body porting.
I believe that mine is most likely from a gasser but it works just fine for me....Merle

mhagie
09-03-2004, 18:11
The guy I bought mine from (Steve Holmes)said no problem when I bought mine.
All it changes from a gasser is mainly the torque converter and the governor so its not a big deal, I don't know why they blew you off....Merle

Larry Andrews
09-04-2004, 08:08
Thanks Merle! I appreciate the contact info...

Did speak with Art Carr (himself!) a while back. Over two grand out the door for their little jewel for the diesel. :eek: That's a little high for a van that was bought for less than that!

britannic
09-05-2004, 21:00
Call 1-800-bad-brad (Transaction Transmission) and talk to Brad or Bernie. They're based in Sun Valley, CA and they built the 700R4 that was behind the "Britannic Special - it was well priced for a 700R4 on steroids. Tell them they were recommended by the mad Brit running the NAPA store in Georgetown, CA :D - should get a chuckle.

Stray Cat
09-08-2004, 11:30
AVOID "PATC" (Performance Automotive Transmission Center" in Louisiana! They have a slick Web Page and advertise their "Raptor" and "Raptor Jr." 700R4s. I bought one and it burned up in less than 2,000 miles. Had it repaired on Warranty, and it burned up again in less than 3,000 miles. I took it to a reputable local transmission shop and had it re-built and it has been solid as a rock since! He said that it looked like someone had taken a transmission with 100,000 miles on it, put in a fancy servo, and that was it. The damage internally was extensive wear that could NOT have happened in the short time I had it. He said that no reputable trans shop would allow a trans to go out in that condition. AVOID "PATC"! like the plague!

Dieselboy
09-08-2004, 13:53
Originally posted by Stray Cat:
AVOID "PATC" (Performance Automotive Transmission Center" in Louisiana! They have a slick Web Page and advertise their "Raptor" and "Raptor Jr." 700R4s. I bought one and it burned up in less than 2,000 miles. Had it repaired on Warranty, and it burned up again in less than 3,000 miles. I took it to a reputable local transmission shop and had it re-built and it has been solid as a rock since! He said that it looked like someone had taken a transmission with 100,000 miles on it, put in a fancy servo, and that was it. The damage internally was extensive wear that could NOT have happened in the short time I had it. He said that no reputable trans shop would allow a trans to go out in that condition. AVOID "PATC"! like the plague! Been there; done that. Six times. I finally got fed up and went with an Art-Carr. 10,000 miles later (nearly all of them with the new turbo), and I'm still a fan.

JeepSJ
09-08-2004, 23:15
Originally posted by Larry Andrews:
Over two grand out the door for their little jewel for the diesel.Mine was $1600 with converter. They were having a sale. But then I added the K case for another $200. IIRC, normal price was $1800, plus $400 for the converter.

nape
09-13-2004, 18:09
I got one from desparado in north alabama and works great. Shipping and ready for a diesel its about 750 with no core.

Nape