PDA

View Full Version : oil pressure again?

panchosteam
07-02-2004, 21:03
Hi guys, after installing a set of mechanical gauges on my truck to check for gauge failure or acuracy on the factory one, i see the same low pressure as i did after my broken belt,just 40 on factory gauge and almost 40 on mechanical,mechanical is installed with a t to the turbo line like some recommend here,and i just had the idea of disconnecting the oil feed to the turbo and putting something on the end just to see if pressure changes,will i kill the turbo? or don't even think about doing this test, i tought about doing this before the oil pump remplacement,what do you guys think?
1984 GMC SIERRA CLASSIC PICK UP NOW WITH 6.5 TD AND HEATH'S TURBO MASTER.

JohnC
07-05-2004, 13:35
Originally posted by panchosteam:
... i just had the idea of disconnecting the oil feed to the turbo and putting something on the end just to see if pressure changes,will i kill the turbo? In a heartbeat... (Only if you start the engine, though) ;)

mhagie
07-05-2004, 16:03
If I remember right the 6.5 turbo oil feed is from front of block, pass side, just below head.
If one is to take oil pressure readings from that point it should be noted that is the furthest point from the pump and has passed thru all the cam bearings so it will produce the lowest readings.
the back of the block will produce the highest readings due to proximity to the oil pump.
In my pics it shows how I solved the problem of connecting a aftermarket gauge........Merle

panchosteam
07-06-2004, 16:57
Thank you John C, thank you Mhagie, i saw your pictures,about the oil pressure gauge and that is a nice set up, i just grab the oil inlet for the turbo because some people here on the page has said is a good place, otherwise i would have connected it to the oil lines or the block like you describe, i see all that you went thru to get that nice looking truck,i'm just a little scared of having to spend more money in to my truck,all i want is a nice running truck, even if it doesn't look that nice,maybe latter i will get a paint job, but for now i just want it to run good like it used to when i first installed the 6.5 in it.

1984 SIERRA CLASSIC PICK UP NOW WITH 6.5 TD AND HEATH'S TURBO MASTER

mhagie
07-06-2004, 17:26
I forgot to mention that necessity breeds innovation, meaning that when I put the 94 6.5 in my truck the oil pressure sending unit was in interference with the firewall so I was forced to come up with a plan and thats how the fuel block became a oil pressure block.
Looks nice now but was a PITA to figure out,besides it worked out well with my Dr Lee op switch on the aux electric fuel pump.
I have copied about everthing from him except the stinkeeeeeng turbo..........Merle