PDA

View Full Version : Made the change!

crew84
09-08-2004, 23:24
I flew to Denver, Colorado on September 1 and picked up my 2004 Duramax Silverado 2500HD 4X4 Crew Cab SB. My 1984 Crew Cab 4X4 is still in the body shop making it easiler to sell. I felt that my 1984 truck was still more of a heavier duty truck than my new one. Well, the new one did not bounce as much as the old one! It did not have as much metal in it around the cab. Still there s not a comparison to the power difference between the two. The old work horse was proven for years as slow but always there. I will miss this forum!

Peter J. Bierman
09-09-2004, 13:53
With all that knowledge and experiance you have with the old 6.2 truck, I am sure you have things to tell us.
So stay with us on this forum and pass on the force.... :D

Peter

NH2112
09-09-2004, 16:10
I don't have experience with 3500s, but I agree wholeheartedly about the older trucks feeling like they're more heavy-duty. Just the fact that your truck lasted 21 years and is still working proves that, IMO. I'd really be surprised if a 2004 lasted even half that long. But the comfort and power of the new trucks is kinda nice!

crew84
09-09-2004, 23:00
My garage will be empty from all the extra parts/ tools when I sell the 1984 crew cab. I am already missing the long bed it has. I am going to put in a deck in my back yard. I have an utility trailer to take its place for hauling lumber. I am challenged to find out the hot problem it has before selling it. It's rough idle when it is 90 degrees and above has been a torn in my side for two years. I have not found anything. I will probably get another Heavy Duty IP rebuilt to replace the already rebuilt one before going any further.

Dieselboy
09-10-2004, 04:20
Congratulations on the new truck.

catmandoo
09-12-2004, 07:42
i hear ya on the box size ,i went from a full to short and 6 months down the road went to put some sheets of plywood in the back and damned if they were too long.plus with the machines i work on i used to get 2 in the back and now just 1.but,the one advantage is they turn lots shorter,friend of mine has a 97 p-stroke ext cab 8ft box and i think a battleship could turn shorter then that thing.

78Chev
09-12-2004, 09:12
crew84 - My rough idle stemmed from barely leaking injection pump lines at the pump. The leak was barely noticeable - I think the fuel would evaporate after dripping in the valley on a warm engine so I didn't notice it until I started consistently feeling with my finger for a dew drop on the bottom of the IP. I went ahead and replaced all of the lines and that fixed the problem. I recall you having trouble getting lines to seal at your injector ends. When I inspected mine many had been overtightened in the past and a ridge was cut into the sealing surfaces preventing a good seal. It was amazing how even the minute amount of seaping affected idle quality.
Randy

crew84
09-12-2004, 10:28
I have changed the metal lines and it stopped the white smoke and missing I was getting when starting it cold. The hot idle problem started after the complete rebuilt of my powertrain. Before it never had the problem for 200K + miles. I just feel that it has something to do with the lift pump or the IP. Maybe because they are the only two things that I have not replaced twice. Since it is heat related they both have aluminium and steel pieces that could leak air when they expand.

Dieselboy
09-12-2004, 10:39
Any pictures of your new work horse?

crew84
09-12-2004, 13:46
Here is one that I first saw of it in Denver. http://pages.prodigy.net/archery1/sb.JPG

84 C2B2
09-12-2004, 18:18
CREW84,

When you mentioned extra parts/tools that piqued my interest. I'm in the middle of rebuilding my 84 regular cab. Would you drop me a line if you are parting with any extra parts? jagied1991@comcast.net

Thanks,
Jerry

crew84
09-13-2004, 08:19
Jerry,
Sorry but the parts and tools will go with the truck.

john8662
09-13-2004, 08:57
It's rough idle when it is 90 degrees and above has been a torn in my side for two years. I have not found anything.Yeah, thats my exact problem on my 86 2WD 6.2. It runs decent when its cold outside or when the engine is cold, but when its hot outside, it runs rough, A/C on is shakes ya. The problem started a little after I got the truck and was later fixed by rebuilding the original never touched injection pump and new injectors. But, the problem came back after 10k miles and is now worse than when it started running poorly originally. I feel your pain in this department, makes me wanna sell it too! But, I am now in the process to tearing it apart for timing gears (might help idle), stud girld, rear main seal, check retainers on rockers. Before adding an ATS turbo. But, I am also sending the pump to Tim @ accuratediesel to be checked and possibly exhanged if thats really the problem.

Why can't you keep two trucks? On the other hand, its expensive to house and keep em all.

funny thing is, the list below, ain't all of em smile.gif I need help!! ;)
John

crew84
09-13-2004, 12:06
I have felt that the Injection Pump has been the culprit for years. I know that a pump rebuilder can not copy the temps under the hood with their test bench. At least it would not be cost effective. They would have to heat wrap each one and take readings at peak under hood temps. After talking with Tim at Accurate I suspect that the head of the IP is worn. I put in the dual idlers with my rebuild 32K ago. I have had problems since the rebuild.

84 Convert
09-13-2004, 20:06
84crew, I would love to but that truck, but sadly, my bank account is inadequate to pay for a truck like that. I'll just have to do it a piece at a time with what I have. Congrats on the new one though.

Between your truck and GMCTD's I think I've used up my full quota of envy. I really still like the older style trucks alot.

Good luck on finding those pesky problems, and please do pass on what you find. It may come in very handy for many of us in the future.

Gregg