PDA

View Full Version : Turbocharger information

Big Blue dsl
11-23-2003, 20:41
Hi all,

i am in the process of building a new engine for the ol' blue general and in the midst of my planning i am stumped... i want to build an 18:1 engine. i want a turbo, i have a "599" block from the diesel depot and now the only issue to adress is the turbo. what would the best turbo be for the application, i will not tow and if i do it will be very light,comparatvely to the travel trailers that others tow i have an intercooler the size of one from a cummins truck, but here is where the dillema arises, will the gm-8 have a quick spool up,and deliver enough boost in street driving to match the fuel of a 300 hp pump,by my way of thinking,the turbo will spool up according to the fuel i give it. or is a better option a mitsubishi turbo like brittanic's, or then again would i be better off with a custom setup built to what i want to do with the motor,i would like to hear any opinons on this subject and what others have found that works.

sorry for the long post
chris brien

britannic
11-24-2003, 08:36
The 6.5L GM-x series of turbos provide reasonably quick spool up and good low rpm boost, but at the cost of increased back pressure as the revs and gas output climbs.

For a 300HP engine, if you mainly drive on freeways, you may want to consider a non-wastegated turbo to get the very best high end power. Use a WG turbo for off the mark pull and good all around power.

An intercooler will be a must for a 300HP engine with 18:1 compression as you will want to boost above 14psi (peak boost will probably be around 20-26psi).

Peter Bierman has an elegant solution to lowering back pressure and increasing spool up, by installing two smaller turbos, one for each bank.

Consult a well respected turbo shop for advice on matching the turbo to the engine.

CleviteKid
11-24-2003, 10:48
For a good somewhat technical introduction to turbos and matching turbos to engines, pick up a copy of the December 2003 issue of "HOT ROD" magazine. Yes, HOT ROD. I was pleasantly surprised by what a good article they had presented.

Dr. Lee :cool:

Daan
11-26-2003, 08:40
If you really want to get in those turbo's
you might also wanna get 'Maximum Boost' by Corky Bell ISBN 0837601606.
This is a book about designing, testing and installing turbocharger systems. They have it at amazon.
Mostly about gas engines but still a great help if you want to design your own turbo-system!

britannic
11-27-2003, 10:49
Originally posted by CleviteKid:
For a good somewhat technical introduction to turbos and matching turbos to engines, pick up a copy of the December 2003 issue of "HOT ROD" magazine. Yes, HOT ROD. I was pleasantly surprised by what a good article they had presented.

Dr. Lee :cool: The article that Dr. Lee is referring to is available online for free at:
Hot Rod Magazine Turbo Article (http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/113_0312_turbo/)