PDA

View Full Version : a strange pinging

GregCrabb
11-24-2003, 16:51
About a month ago, while driving around town with my windows open, I noticed a strange pinging sound from under my truck. It's a hollow type metallic sound. The trans was rebuilt a year ago, had to have a mount replaced at that time, but haven't noticed anything wrong. It drives fine, runs fine, not engine related. Notice it more when I've been stopped and suddenly "goose it". When I was under it changing my oil 2 days ago, I looked, felt, shook, wiggled and wobbled everything I could possibly see under there but nothing made that sound. I thought it might a loose exhaust hanger and actually found one that might be the culprit, but it won't make that sound when I move it myself. I've still been driving it for my 100mile round-trip commute to work without any problems. Anyone have any ideas? :confused:

78Chev
11-24-2003, 20:23
Greg - Mine was my vacuum pump connecting rod at the oil pump. Ping ping tick tick - had no effect on running but drove me absolutely nuts. Was worse when the engine was hot. I had a stub to put in its place and when I swapped it out the noise went away. So, I found an electric vacuum pump out of a volvo and use that to run my a/c doors. Sounds like a nice diesel again. I've not heard of others having this problem but it certainly was the cause of mine.
Randy

TonyL
11-25-2003, 02:12
Check the starter! Mine had a noise like you describe and the bracket in the front was loose and one of the starter bolts broke in the block. Not a fun fix as others here will tell you.

TimK
11-27-2003, 20:43
Here's one more thing for you to check. Check the torque converter bolts that hold it to the flex plate. I had my torqure convert replaced about a year ago. This fall when I drove my truck to from Portland to Phoenix I heard a sound that was similiar to that of an exhaust leak at idle. It turns out it was the torque converter bolts coming loose.

TimK

Kaitsu
11-28-2003, 05:21
Hello Gregg!

You