PDA

View Full Version : GMCTD, Head R&R question.

rugger
09-13-2004, 11:33
JD, Just wondering if you found out the manufacturer of the Orange Head gaskets? Anyone else feel free to jump in. Thanks for your time.

Cheers,
Erik

gmctd
09-13-2004, 17:52
I have not given it much thought since then, rugger, what with Heath Max-E-Tork chip, DSG gearset, new IP, new flexplate, charge air cooler installation, rewiring instrument panel and sensors, etc.

Added torque from the Heath chip broke the flexplate, which noise resulted in some heavy-duty troubleshooting, with replacement and upgrades galore.

I was at point of pulling the heads when the broken flexplate 'revealed' itself by completely separating around the hub bolt circle.

No mistaking that noise for a broken lifter(s) and\or piston.

Still, the gaskets are flagged in my memory banks, and if I run across the info, I'll post it.

rugger
09-13-2004, 18:12
Thanks, i appreciate it. Sounds like you've been more than busy. Any idea what cuased a broken flex plate? not something you hear about breaking every day.

Thanks again,
rugger

gmctd
09-14-2004, 03:39
The boneyard guys bent it when loading onto my truck in '99.
The starter ring-gear was not cracked so I straightened the 'plate, ran it four years, no prob.

I was trying out Bill Heath's chip when the noise started - see my post 'Thanks for the memories.....' for all the gory details.

[ 09-15-2004, 03:19 AM: Message edited by: gmctd ]