PDA

View Full Version : PMD failure, as well as a code P0236

Bob's 6.5TD
10-21-2004, 14:39
For quite sometime I've had a problem with a sudden loss of power. This usually happens under load conditions, towing or going up a hill, its as if you turned a switch off. I was just recently able to get a DTC of P0236 from AutoZone. Their computer troubleshooting the P0236 says "The PCM has determined that the input voltage for boost pressure sensor "A" is out of range for the current engine operating conditions." Could this "input voltage" statement be because the engine was idling when they took the reading? Yet the code, reflecting the Turbocharger Boost System, sounds like it's in the right direction on the power loss issue. Hopefully, someone can advise me on this.

About a month ago I had all the classic symptoms of a failing PMD. So, thanks to the Diesel Page Forum's wonderful contributors, I made that diagnosis. One of the dealerships that I talked to adivsed me dispose of the truck unless I wanted to spend $2,000 a year on it. He seemed to know more that the others about the 6.5 but something didn't seem just right about that advise. That's when I found you guys, what a blessing! So I bought a PolarFlo FSD cooler, and a new PMD, the wires were too short to mount it exactly were they designed it to go but I made a bracket to get it close enough. All was wonderfully well, with the PMD, for about a week and a half, then it died on me while on my way home and I was never able to get it to start again, even after it had cooled down an hour or so later. So I plugged it back into the old PMD, still on the pump, and it started the first try. And that's where I am as of today. What's the likely hood that the new PMD could go bad so quickly? Or, could it be something else like, I pulled on the wiring too hard, ect.?

CareyWeber
10-21-2004, 14:52
Originally posted by Bob's 6.5TD:
For quite sometime I've had a problem with a sudden loss of power. This usually happens under load conditions, towing or going up a hill, its as if you turned a switch off. I was just recently able to get a DTC of P0236 from AutoZone. Their computer troubleshooting the P0236 says "The PCM has determined that the input voltage for boost pressure sensor "A" is out of range for the current engine operating conditions." Could this "input voltage" statement be because the engine was idling when they took the reading? Yet the code, reflecting the Turbocharger Boost System, sounds like it's in the right direction on the power loss issue. Hopefully, someone can advise me on this.

About a month ago I had all the classic symptoms of a failing PMD. So, thanks to the Diesel Page Forum's wonderful contributors, I made that diagnosis. One of the dealerships that I talked to adivsed me dispose of the truck unless I wanted to spend $2,000 a year on it. He seemed to know more that the others about the 6.5 but something didn't seem just right about that advise. That's when I found you guys, what a blessing! So I bought a PolarFlo FSD cooler, and a new PMD, the wires were too short to mount it exactly were they designed it to go but I made a bracket to get it close enough. All was wonderfully well, with the PMD, for about a week and a half, then it died on me while on my way home and I was never able to get it to start again, even after it had cooled down an hour or so later. So I plugged it back into the old PMD, still on the pump, and it started the first try. And that's where I am as of today. What's the likely hood that the new PMD could go bad so quickly? Or, could it be something else like, I pulled on the wiring too hard, ect.? I had the P0236 issue this year I had to replace my vacum lines and the wastegate solniod(SP). Do a search on FSD DIDN'T FIX IT and also P0236 and you'll find more info.

Carey

russfixr
10-24-2004, 15:37
Recently had P0236 appear when also towing under load. Did vacuum test and was fine. Replaced wastegate solenoid and have experienced no further problems.

rjwest
10-25-2004, 07:35
Do not know from note exactly where you mounted your
PMD ( and Cooler ).

I bought a PMD/cooler from a not so good vender,
mounted on intake, Failed within a few months....

Installed it under dash with new PMD. All's well
in PMD World for over a year.

Did retest " old " failed PMD, Ran fine for a
couple of weeks and failed.....

DA BIG ONE
10-26-2004, 01:32
I am actually trying to get my factory boost control back to working condition, then use JK boost device with my HD programming.

After spending much time checking the vacuum pump, replacing the solenoid switch I still have problems and code 1656 too. This an on & off type problem and a PITA.