PDA

View Full Version : Horn Problems

cschneider
11-28-2003, 09:46
I have a problem with my horns and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions. I will press the button and get a loud click from what I believe is the relay and then a buzzing sound from under the dash. Any ideas? I was thinking a bad horn relay but wouldn't the relay just be silent then and not click?

NH2112
11-28-2003, 19:59
To me the buzzing sounds like the horn relay's coil is pulling in and breaking contact very rapidly, due to heat, bad ground, a bad relay, etc (much like happens with a bad starter solenoid - clickclickclick.) I'm not sure about the loud click, but that could be caused by corrosion or burns on the relay's contact tips. You could test for power (to the horn) and a good ground at the relay with a test light. I'd go ahead and put a new relay in. If you don't mind running a separate ground wire, one of the 4-pole Bosch "ice cube" relays might be a better choice than the 3-pole standard horn relays.

FredM
11-29-2003, 23:16
most probable is a bad ground up front, but i can tell you that power comes from the headlight switch, there's a pin on it for power to the horn relay. mine had a melted connector at the switch. ground is the whole front valance which in turn is or should be grounded to the battery.