PDA

View Full Version : MY BURB & 2 Seemingly Impared Men

DA BIG ONE
07-03-2004, 12:52
Well, this morning a car crossed into my path on SR70 in Florida near Arcidia.

The collision ripped all of the L/S front suspension, axle, 4wd goddies right out, lost brakes and steering, one hell of a slow motion ride, over a bridge bouncing off the guard rails went on for about 1/8th of a mile. Resulting damage chassis bent, sheet metal down drivers side damaged front to back, pass side sheet metal damage.

About 10 minutes later we find the car that hit me in a ditch on my side of the road about 100 yds after the impact area. 2 men appeared to be impared, with their cooler of beers and open bottles of liquer. They claimed to be in the car but were not driving, they claimed someone else drove it and fled the scene.

So we have 2 guys, a small car w/o driver which results in the accident report stating driver unknown. I could not put any of them in the drivers seat as a witness, so they skip jail to maybe do something worse the next time around.

None of these guys had drivers licenses, however, one of them did have one in the past which was suspended 14 times.

Anyway, only things that are confirmed, is that my burb has serious damage, they did cross over 4+ feet into my lane before impact in a car w/o a driver.

Police have their hands tied with situations like this, because of lack of a witness, no one seriously injured, or killed so the state will not investigate!

Besides me feeling like I was served a can of woop ass, banged up and brused I am thankful it was not worse!

Anyone, in south Florida "Palm Beach" know of anyone who can do great collision work "if it isn't a total" let me know.

Try, and have a safe 4th guys, mine sucks right now!

Dieselboy
07-03-2004, 13:54
Sorry to hear that, but glad that you came out okay.

Trucks can be repaired... ;)

dieselrealtor
07-03-2004, 15:46
Just imagine what kind of shape YOU would have been in had you been driving an immitation SUV.
There is a lot to be said for weight & lots of metal.

rustypig
07-03-2004, 23:23
What a shame man. Can you find out the car owners name from the cops (for your insurance of course or was the car not registered)? Seems as if you could take action against the owner, but every state is different...and more than likely it's one of the two losers in the car (13 years prior cop...you see it all).
Gee, lets see...contestant #1 has 14 priors...hmmnnn...surely he wouldn't do it again right? Should be a Darwin law/penalty drawn somewhere along that line. Sorry to hear the bad news. Glad to hear your ok.

JoeyD
07-04-2004, 04:18
Sounds like these 2 losers will be out driving and doing this again.

markrinker
07-04-2004, 07:07
I'd get a lawyer and if necessary, a private investigator and nail those losers to the wall.

a5150nut
07-04-2004, 07:40
If it's an option Total/Repair, go with the total. Have been there and thought that working with a garage that I thought was working with me would be the way to go.

94 K2500 rear ended and driven 70ft after impact from about 4 miles an hour. The truck was (repaired) but not commpleatly. There are still things that were over looked. They broke my rear single slide window and replaced with a double slider. They said it broke trying to remove it to replace the right rear 1/4 panel on cab. Never did find a trace of broken glass in the cab.........Right side of bed was replaced and insteadof Rino liner, they used undercoat. Looked good all new and clean until I got the first few scratches and could see how thin it was. They left out the sound proofing in the cab panel, side vent window nevr did seal right. Bent rear end was replaced with on from a 92. Found the markings on it later.

If it would have been totaled at the time it happened, I would have been out the truck. They would have paid it of so I wouldn't have the the dept to pay. But no truck either.

Luckily I had uninsured driver coverage. He was driving an un-registered 76 Buick wagon and had no liscence. Then after he got out of the hospital, he found one of those 1-800-Diale-a-Jerk lawyers and was going to sue me! My insurance company sent their lawyers in and stopped that. Only because if he won against me he would have a claim on them.

If I could do it over.....Total the damn truck! :mad:

DA BIG ONE
07-04-2004, 13:43
Update:
It turns out the trooper had to re-do all his paper work, one of em did fess up. Found this out this morning when I went back to do an extensive photo session of the accident scene to document road damage (will remain until a resurface), bridge railing damage, point of impact and distance/direction of travel after impact.

As for the truck, I would like to keep it if it can be repaired. I've grown real attached to it, now even more knowing what could have happened to me in one of my cars.

I found a shop in Boynton Beach that may be able to repair it, if it's not a total.

I can only hope these guys can get help like rehab before it is too late and someone or they die after their boozing!

mhagie
07-04-2004, 21:04
One option is to let the insurance company total it and then buy it back from them at a salvage price which will save you a bunch.
It will then have a salvage title but since you care so much for it that you will keep it indefinitely it won't be a problem..........Merle

DA BIG ONE
07-05-2004, 02:38
Originally posted by mhagie:
One option is to let the insurance company total it and then buy it back from them at a salvage price which will save you a bunch.
It will then have a salvage title but since you care so much for it that you will keep it indefinitely it won't be a problem..........Merle Actually considering this option, but lookin at taking less money and keeping the salvage rights.

Now, if only GM will release a burb w/duramax I would jump on that real fast!

dieselrealtor
07-05-2004, 15:23
Originally posted by mhagie:
It will then have a salvage title but since you care so much for it that you will keep it indefinitely it won't be a problem..........Merle I am with him on this one, REMEMBER, THE FIRST OFFER THEY GIVE YOU IS SELDOM THEIR BEST. With that said a little experience I had; late summer 2002, bought a new Z71, 77 Terry, took an 8,000 mile trip over 5 weeks, got back on a Thursday evening, Friday a tornado hit house, truck, camper, garage, yardstuff everything.

After a long battle with the insurance company, they agreed to pay around $3000 & let me buy it back for $500, I then sold it (no salvage title due to age) for around $1700.

They first tried to pay $1200 & take the trailer.

Good luck, hope you are not dealing with Safeco.

Dimsdale
07-05-2004, 17:12
Couldn't the Florida 5-0 just take some prints off of the steering wheel to establish who was driving?

DA BIG ONE
07-06-2004, 02:21
Originally posted by Dimsdale:
Couldn't the Florida 5-0 just take some prints off of the steering wheel to establish who was driving? Easy for sure, but they will not spend the $$$ if there are no serious injuries or deaths.

Do not forget, Florida already has jail over crowding, in fact more poeple are in jails in Florida then any other state.

dstoops
07-12-2004, 19:21
Hey Big One!
Just wonderin' how you're doin'? I'm thinking you may be pretty sore by now!! Found another truck yet?
Dean

m-keith
07-13-2004, 06:56
See my post on my 95 'burban. Looks like last week was a bad one for diesel 'burbans. Mine was delcared a total loss. Yours is a later model; so it's worth more, but more that likely, yours maybe totaled as well.

slagona
07-13-2004, 12:13
As I posted in Micheal's Thread, I will be selling my '99 suburban in the near future. I will be in Bradenton sometime in the next 4-6 weeks to bring my camaro home (finally!) could deliver the suburban there if you're interested. I was planning on flying down and driving the car back - but would be happy to drive the suburban down anytime (would make wife very happy).

See:

Suburban (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=006781)

for email and more details.

--Scott

DA BIG ONE
07-18-2004, 03:57
Originally posted by dstoops:
Hey Big One!
Just wonderin' how you're doin'? I'm thinking you may be pretty sore by now!! Found another truck yet?
Dean Thanks for asking! Only my left hand and wrist really hurt for awhile, my left arm has a bruse from the burbs outside mirrior flyin in and hitting my arm, otherwise ok.

As for my burb, it is being fixed because the chassis was not damaged one bit.

The l/f suspension was blown clear off the burb, w/the front pumpkin and l/s drive axel going south too. Misc. body damage all around already done, just waiting on the front pumpkin from GM overall cost for repairs $10,000+.