PDA

View Full Version : fuel filter

Dauber
11-29-2003, 17:18
Where is the secondary fuel filter located? I can not find it. 83 Burb.

john8662
11-30-2003, 12:32
If the primary fuel filter on your 83 is ROUND then you probably do indeed have a secondary filter. The secondary fuel filter on an 83 is found in the same place as an 82. The filter is underneath the air cleaner attached to the rear of the intake manifold (towards the firewall). Its not fun to change one of these. Thats where its at!

Dauber
12-03-2003, 21:22
Thanks for the help, The manual showed the same thing but still no filter. I traced the line from the pump and found that it has been removed. The lines and connectors are still there but someone has clamped hoses to the lines and bypassed the secondary filter. Should I find a new secondary filter attachment and put a filter in it or is it ok like it is?
I have only put maybe 1000 miles on this since i bought it, starting to drive it now. It runs really rough at stoplights, surging and shaking but runs fine once you get going. I changed the primary filter, looked pretty dirty dont know when it was last changed. I am assuming it was changed when the engine was rebuilt 25K ago.

john8662
12-04-2003, 07:52
I would put the secondary filter back in place. If the primary filter was pretty dirty than it probably wasn't passing much fuel and could be passing some dirty fuel. The secondary filter is of a finer filter. My advice, since finding a secondary filter housing might be a task is upgrade the whole filter assembly to the 84+ filter housing. Its a dual purpose filter, primary/secondary and water separator. This will mount where your primary filter is now, with some routing of lines of course. Since the 82-83 6.2s had the water in fuel sensor in the tank you won't have to wire the new filter housing up. It has connectors on it for sensors. I have them without the wiring. Its a square filter setup.

Rough running, well since the truck has been run with probably dirty fuel, it could have damaged the injection pump. Get all the filters installed and run fuel conditioner in it for awhile, could help lubricate the pump and injectors and clear the running up a bit.

Come to think of it, I might just have a spare 82 secondary fuel filter housing. I'll check and let you know, if I come up with one, you want it?

Dauber
12-04-2003, 10:00
Thanks for the post John. I would like the secondary filter housing if you have one. The 84 set up sounds better but would not know where to find one anyway.

john8662
12-04-2003, 10:56
I took a look in the garage, I have one. post you email address and we'll go from there..

Turbine Doc
12-04-2003, 11:25
Dauber,
If John can't some up with the secondary, you might want to go with a Racor setup or other vendor to do the same thing.

Never mind I reread John saying he had one so this is a FYI to others,

I got a fair deal on my Racor at www.go2marine.com (http://www.go2marine.com) just make sure they understand it's for a Diesel, they sent me a gas filt by mistake 1st time $77 was price for complete filt and body when I bought mine.

Does the 6.2 have a heater in the primary bowl that is missing from Duaber's rig, if so Dauber you will want the heater option as well probably more money but woth it if you are going to be operating in cold weather.

How many miles on your truck if high and you have original injectors I'd suggest swapping them out they can cause the symptoms you are experiencing, Hi pops get my vote but if you can't swing the extra $$$ for them, go with at least set of new stock flows in light of reduced filtration you have been running with.

Dauber
12-04-2003, 15:58
email is dauber381@sbcglobal.net
thanks for the posts, I will look into the injectors after I set up the filters. No need for heater doesnt get real cold here.

Oh and what kind of conditioner should I run in this? would Power Service be ok?

john8662
12-04-2003, 16:55
Dauber,

you have mail!

As far a fuel conditioner, Power Service (wally world) will be a good one, gets good votes here on TDP. I