PDA

View Full Version : glow plug thermal switch

mhagie
12-01-2003, 19:28
On my 84 with the updated 85 up controller I noticed that I still get glowplug cycle even at normal operating temp.
I checked the thermal switch on back of drivers side head and it had continuity, what temp does the switch open?,I thought it was 150*.
darn thing is new from auto zone maybe should have a a/c delco instead?.
I believe it was a Bosch,I know years ago BOSCH electric parts were suspect but thought they had improved.

gmctd
12-01-2003, 19:41
Should open above 125deg, Merle, old style or new style.

Any luck with your tach drive?

Larry Andrews
12-02-2003, 00:56
Bosch electrical parts bad? You've never owned a car built with lighting by Lucas, have you? smile.gif

britannic
12-02-2003, 07:04
Originally posted by Larry Andrews:
Bosch electrical parts bad? You've never owned a car built with lighting by Lucas, have you? smile.gif Ah yes, "Lucas, Prince of Darkness"! I lost count of how many times my Triumph motorbike's latest Lucas alternator failed on a dark lonely back-country lane...

Lucas has gotten a lot better in recent years though!

CleviteKid
12-02-2003, 07:33
For those of you too young to have heard it:

"Why do the British drink their beer warm ? ? ?"

"Because Lucas makes their refrigerators."

britannic
12-02-2003, 07:52
Originally posted by CleviteKid:
For those of you too young to have heard it:

"Why do the British drink their beer warm ? ? ?"

"Because Lucas makes their refrigerators." Of course "warm" is a relative term, since the Brits live in a cold and damp climate most of the time and the beer is served at cellar temperature. The beer's not chilly either, but refreshingly cold - definitely not warm though :D :D !!

CleviteKid
12-02-2003, 08:16
And I suppose you Brits have a snappy answer for why you lost the War with the Colonies in 1781 and signed the Treaty of Paris in 1783 :eek: :confused: :eek: :confused: ??

britannic
12-02-2003, 08:42
Originally posted by CleviteKid:
And I suppose you Brits have a snappy answer for why you lost the War with the Colonies in 1781 and signed the Treaty of Paris in 1783 :eek: :confused: :eek: :confused: ?? I'll stick with what I know best, namely diesels, beer and Lucas and let the historians figure out what happened in 1781 and 1783 :D !!

mhagie
12-02-2003, 19:16
Obviously my switch is defective as my digital temp gauge was reading 155* and still had continuity,will see about finding a a/c delco switch to replace it,that sucker didn't last at all.
gmctd, a guy from work is coming over sat with his scope and it will be show and tell time, hopefully we can get the tach to work otherwise we will probably have to invade Miami and overthrow the clevite kid and feed him to the brits. :D

Larry Andrews
12-03-2003, 00:08
'did I do that?' smile.gif

I'll never forget the time I had an electrical problem under the dash of the '73 Spitfire. I pulled over, turned off the car and opened the convertible top to let the smoke out. Once it cleared, I reached under the dash and shook the wires pretty good. Waited a bit, said a brief prayer and started the car up again. Never did it again...and I never did find where the insulation broke. :eek:

Now you kids play nice... :cool: