PDA

View Full Version : Broken Coolant Crossover

MEdlin
07-03-2004, 21:46
Well, today I removed my thermostat crossover only to find that the inside tab on the passenger side flange was broken off. Upon closer examination, it looks like the other side has a crack in the same place. Anyone have this problem in the past? Any idea what causes this? I replaced the water pump about a year ago and torqued the crossover down to 31 lbs. ft. as specified in the GM Service manual. Anybody have a good source for a new one? :(

a5150nut
07-04-2004, 07:54
Can't guess what caused this but....if you are older than a 97, it is agood time to go "Duel". The dealer and other after markets offer the 97 and up version.And the conversion isn't all that bad to do!

whatnot
07-04-2004, 08:49
I had that happen on my '93
I don't know what caused it.

MEdlin
07-04-2004, 08:53
Thanks for the feedback. Does the Dual Thermostat setup require another waterpump?

a5150nut
07-04-2004, 19:30
Yes on the newer water pump. It has more capasity. And while your in that area......a gear drive cam set up is nice too!

Bobbie Martin
07-05-2004, 07:50
If you want to stick with the single thermostat crossover, I think I have one I could send you for the shipping cost.

tom.mcinerney
07-05-2004, 18:34
When MorePower wrote the TDP R&R manual, he commented that sometimes intake manifold flanges cracked. His corrective action consisted in installing washers beneath the studs, to spread the load a bit.
I followed suit the second time i fitted the InMan, and found the washers also preserved the injection pipe mtg/guide clips.

MEdlin
07-11-2004, 09:59
Bobbie Martin, Thanks for your very generous offer. Since I was in a hurry getting my truck ready for the family vacation, I purchased a new crossover at the dealership. They were asking $175 :eek: , but I managed to get it for $133 :cool:

I have also taken the recommendation to use washers below the studs on the intake manifold and crossover.

Thanks for everyone's help! smile.gif