PDA

View Full Version : ADDING CIRCULATING HEATER

snoball
12-04-2003, 22:17
I HAVE A 6.2 AND WONDERING IF A CIRCULATING HEATER CAN BE USED VS THE BLOCK HEATER. IF SO WHAT LINE COMES FROM THE BLOCK GOING TO THE HEATER CORE? THANKS

NH2112
12-05-2003, 03:06
Well the only access to the lower part of the water jacket is through a freeze plug, or the block drain which is behind an engine mount. I've thought about brazing a hose fitting to a freeze plug and going that route, but since my factory-style heater is working well enough...I personally like the canister-style heaters a lot better even though "they" say the freeze-plug models are more efficient. Energy-efficient, maybe, since the biggest freeze-plug heater I've seen was 1000W. I do know that a 1500W canister heater will get the coolant temp in an older I-R construction forklift up to 180F overnight, and that the 1000W heater in newer Cummins-powered ones doesn't even move the needle on the gauge.

mhagie
12-05-2003, 05:25
Food for thought, on my 84 the water pump has a plug on the inlet side, why can't a tank heater be connected there and tee into heater hose.
I know its close but there should be enough elevaton change to work.
Of course trucks at home and I'm at work so I can't look to see if I'm right or just blowing smoke.........Merle

dieselcrawler
12-07-2003, 21:10
Hey all,
I have an in-line type heater on my 6.2, and it doesn't seem to quite get the job done. As in, if you feel the motor on a cold morning, after it has sat all night with the heater pluged in, the only place you feel much warmth is across the top of the motor. If you feel the heads or block, they still feel cold. If this is the case, it would seem to me that it's not doing much good, and that a smaller heater, if placed in the block, where it will do some good, would be more effective, as opposed to a larger one, that can't get the heat where it needs to be, and that would be the motor itself. This is the reason that I plan to install a freeze plug style heater soon, and have tossed around the idea of installing one in each side of the motor. However, it never really gets THAT cold here in West Virginia, so I doubt I'd really need it, but it would insure that the ol' motor would be WARM, and on both sides... **grin**
Greg

CleviteKid
12-08-2003, 07:09
Hey Crawler,

Go ahead with a heater on each side of the engine.

The only thing that exceeds is excess.

Dr. Lee http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/xmas/geschenk.gif

DYNA
12-10-2003, 17:08
I have two heaters,one each side. They are factory GM. They will heat to about 150*. I have them on a swimming pool timer set for about 3 hours. I have warm air with the switch on for glow plug! I love it! Dwayne