PDA

View Full Version : Low Coolant Light

loyce8869
02-11-2005, 18:24
I recently purchased an 83 chevy K10 with a 6.2NA in it. Latly When I start the vehcile up the Low Coolant light comes on and stays on for a couple of minutes then goes away. I have been checking the level of coolant and it seems to almost always be low. Now I check the oil every time I fill up and it looks fine and there has never been any coolant puddles under the truck. Any ideas on where I might be lossing this coolant from?
Also I am still new to the diesel engine and was wondering what kind of upgrades there are for this engine. It s completly stock and has 129K on her. I just want to make it run the best that it can.

TimK
02-11-2005, 19:04
It sounds like you have a coolant leak. Here are some places to look at. Inspect the hose going from the coolant overflow tank to the radiator for cracks. Check out the overflow tank it self. It's made of plastic and sometimes will crack on the bottom. Take a flashlight and closely check the radiator all over. If you see any green fluid or crust build up, that could be leak. Check the lower radiator hose. Any of those type of leaks are easy ones to fix although the radiator can be pricey. The worst would be a blown head gasket. Either compression gases will sneak get into the cooling system and then push the water out or sometime the water will get into the cylinder.

TimK

86burb
02-11-2005, 22:10
Check your floor boards for coolant, A slow leaking heater core is a possibility. If this is the case catching it now can save a really big mess in the interior before it completely blows.