PDA

View Full Version : Where to order replacement brake hard lines?

dieselbegreat
12-06-2003, 07:28
My Suburban's brake lines are rusting out. :( Where can I get replacements for the "hard lines" that will bolt right on?

NH2112
12-06-2003, 08:33
There's a company called Stainless Steel Brake Lines that a former co-worker used when he rebuilt his 86 K30 dump from the ground up. I didn't think the prices were bad at all, especially considering that no bending is necessary. I want to say he paid around $200 for all the brake and fuel lines.

LMC Truck has stainless brake line kits for $220, and their OEM kits go for only a few dollars less.

dieselbegreat
12-08-2003, 14:44
FYI, I checked around and have ordered a complete set from www.1aautomotive.com (http://www.1aautomotive.com) for $165 plus $15 FedEx. They are made to order in Michigan and guaranteed to fit. Might as well do it right.

dieselbegreat
12-26-2003, 18:58
Okay, well my order was canceled because they did not have the tooling to make it, however they said if I send my old lines to them they'll make them up custom. Ha. I said to forget it. (They shouldn't be advertising them if they can't make them.)

I did some reading about making brake lines and got some double-flare adapters for my tubing flaring tool and a roll of brake line and fittings from JC Whitney and made the lines up myself. Looks pretty good, and no leaks. I'm getting pretty good at it! I will say that even though I tried to copy the old lines exactly and got them very close, they never line up in three dimensional space the first time - you just have to get it close and twist and stretch it until it lines up and then fasten it like the original so it won't upbraid. Guess I'll keep this truck awhile now that it has brakes again!! :cool: The good information and moral support I receive on this forum really helps a lot.