PDA

View Full Version : GMCTD CC DRW

mhagie
12-06-2003, 08:07
I checked out the pic of gmctd's ccc drw and I noticed that this basicly a 82-87 cab style with a suburban nose.
Now for the kicker I have been told ever since I first started exploring TDP that a newer GM8 turbo and manifold would not fit the older style truck because of clearance problems with the a/c box,well I'm looking at the pic and I see a GM8 and a old style a/c box.
Bullcrunchies if I had known it would actually fit I would have went that way rather than a overly expenive Banks. :mad:
OK whats the secret here, how you do it?
BTY thats one fine looking truck. :D
Merle

gmctd
12-06-2003, 08:38
Thanks, Merle.
(And kowsoc, and 'Cleve')

That body style was produced thru 1991 in the Sub, Blazer, and Crew editions, giving GM further time to create the series' in the new-for-'88 style.
It was updated in '88 to that style front sheetmetal in both the Chev and GMC marques, but the military versions mostly kept the single headlite version.
'80 was the cutoff date on your style hood attachment - '81 hinges were moved into the cowl, which prevented the traditional 'broken hood' appearance resulting from inadequate hinge pivot maintenance.
(Word to the wise, Merle - keep those pivots lubricated.)
Otherwise, everything is interchangeable.

Check out my entries in tbogemirep's fuel pump post in Dr Lee's Forum for info on the oft-dreaded, much feared GM-8\AC Housing interference dilema.
You may then convince yourself the Banks route was the best, after all!
:cool:

[ 12-06-2003, 08:03 AM: Message edited by: gmctd ]

britannic
12-06-2003, 09:29
Plus, that low back pressure Garrett T04B Banks turbo you have, is good for over 300HP, should you decide to extract more power in the future.

mhagie
12-06-2003, 10:28
I feel better already,I was aware of the interchangibility between years, one look at my sig can verify that except I had forgotten about the cc version,dam.
When I starting assembling pieces to build my truck I found a 84 cab and came very close to using a 91 sub/blazer/cc nose on it then for a reason I don't even remember why it was decided that a 80 silverado nose was quite a looker and fairly rare as it was only made for that one year so it became the choice.
Had to do over again might have used the newer nose as the 80 made the gas to diesel more challenging.
I am kind of curious as to what kind of horsepower mine may or not have, I don't have enough miles on it as yet to get a true feel for it and winter is here now so it may be spring before I find out its true colors. :D
Merle