PDA

View Full Version : Banks Turbo,IC?

mhagie
12-07-2003, 16:52
I have a Diesel Depot Reman 6.5, The 2929 block ceramic coated pistons, combustion chambers, exhaust ports, with port matched intakes & DB-2 4911 IP.
At the time I purchased this engine I asked Jamie about the turbo and whether I should crank up the pump a tad.
His reply was that he thought I would be quite pleased with this set-up and pump adj would not be needed.
What about a IC?, Is there any real use for one on a half ton?
Also Britannic mentioned that my To4B was good for around 300 hp I thought that the only way to approach that kind of power level was with a big pennisular turbo.

grape
12-07-2003, 17:02
depends on which t04b it is........there are lots of different variations of that turbo. It's about the most common available for aftermarket purposes.

britannic
12-07-2003, 17:18
An IC definitely part of the recipe for 300HP and your engine already has a good foundation for heat management, which so you can fuel it for high horsepower.

The Banks T04B is set up to provide low boost (12psi) and backpressure and high charge air volume above 2500rpm for sustained power output.

It might be necessary to change the turbine and or compressor trim on the T04B, however, before you do that, see how much power you can extract with the IC combination and extra fuel, whilst watching your EGTs.

The Banks T04B has an A/R of 1.0, I can't remember if the trim was P or what (my old posts got deleted in the great server disaster), but this thread has some info: Banks Siderwinder Turbo (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=002127)

grape
12-08-2003, 08:30
the exhaust side is a 1.00, the intake side they leave unmarked....big surprise. Plus the banks turbo is more like a t04-t3 hybrid used on little import cars. The inlet side is a t04 but the exhaust side is a t3 flange like the wastgated gm-x series stuff. Intake a/r looks to be around .6 which is fairly standard but who knows what banks is thinking.

britannic
12-08-2003, 09:19
Originally posted by grape:
the exhaust side is a 1.00, the intake side they leave unmarked....big surprise. Plus the banks turbo is more like a t04-t3 hybrid used on little import cars. The inlet side is a t04 but the exhaust side is a t3 flange like the wastgated gm-x series stuff. Intake a/r looks to be around .6 which is fairly standard but who knows what banks is thinking. The Banks design is targeted toward safely upgrading a stock 6.2L, without shortening engine life.

Provided the engine is in good shape mechanically and the cam/IP timing is optimized, it will increase power/torque and provide a long service life with boost levels in the 5-12psi range.

Some of us, like myself and Grape, need more power :D and don't mind stretching our engine's limits (more money than sense? Speaking for myself, I love power... :cool: ), so the stock Banks system isn't enough.

I'm looking forward to hearing how Grape's turbo upgrades work out:
(originally posted in the 6.5LTD Forum) (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=005312)

something similar to my new set up......big differnce from the banks. web page (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2446414141&category=33742)

grape
12-08-2003, 15:18
we'll see how long it takes for internal engine components to become external engine components on my new engine!!!!!! I'll post some pictures later of the intercooler and radiator set up.

britannic
12-08-2003, 15:28
we'll see how long it takes for internal engine components to become external engine components on my new engine!!!!!! I'll post some pictures later of the intercooler and radiator set up. Will you be drag racing your rig, looking to blow by the "Passed and Curious" or both?

grape
12-08-2003, 19:57
daily commuter vehicle back and forth to work, just a toy.