PDA

View Full Version : MHI TE06H & IC Questions.. ATTN: Britannic

john8662
12-08-2003, 19:57
Hello,

I recently acquired a banks sidewinder TE06H turbo off ebay from an auction listed for use with a rice-burner. In the process it was sold with some other items like an intercooler for a mitsubishi and exaust manifold and some misc pipes.

I wanted this turbo for an incomplete banks turbo 6.2 kit that I acquired and am putting together. I have most of the underhood parts except the turbo. So why get the stock turbo when I can have the upgraded turbo right?

My questions are first of all in reguards to the extras in the auction. Here is the auction details:

"Up for bid is a Banks Sidewinder MDL# TE06H and stock exhaust manifold and intercooler for 1995 95 and up Eclipse, Talon 2.0 DOHC with most piping. Turbo is capable of an estimated 20psi of boosted pressure. This will be perfect to modify your Honda, Supra, Civic, CRX, and or any car you choose!"

Here is the auction pic of turbo and stuff in question:

http://members.cox.net/acmdsl/TE06H-Auction.jpg

The intercooler in the auction looks a little too small to be worth anything with an application with a big engine like the 6.2. I don't think this intercooler is big enough to flow the air needed. I just want confirmation on this before I give it away to a rice-burner hot rod owner.

Now about the turbo, any installation hints on this thing, how about setting the wastegate? This is being fitted in an 86' 1/2 ton 4x4 Suburban Project truck with a 6.2L True J series engine (low mile mil-spec engine).Thanks for your time, more questions to come I am sure..

britannic
12-08-2003, 21:29
If you haven't already, check out the link in my sig. below for actual pictures of how I installed the turbo.

Stock, the turbo wastegate is set for about 7psi, but yours may have already been tweaked. In order to get it to 15psi, I had to shim the actuator by almost a 1/4". Another way of doing it, would be to fit a bleed valve to the wastegate pressure line and adjust it to the pressure you want. Even better, would be an electrically operated bleed valve, controllable from the cab for experimentation :D .

The intercooler you fit, will be a tradeoff between efficiency, volume and flow. The more volume and pipe length, the more lag. The TE06H flows plenty of air (remember it was designed for use with the 6.9/7.3L psd) and does well over the engine's power curve. It doesn't heat the air up too badly, but ramming 12psi and above will easily add a couple hundred degrees or more to the incoming ambient temp. air charge.

I found that cam and IP timing is absolutely critical; just 2 degrees too advanced and the turbo really didn't like singing until the revs got over 2700rpm. I now have my engine set 3* advanced @ 1400rpm, which is TDC at 2400rpm and above with my 4911 spec IP. With this timing (I run dual idler gears now as well), I'm seeing 10psi at 1500rpm up a slight grade in 2nd. 3rd at WOT holds between 12-15psi @ 2200rpm and OD (WOT) will give 12-13psi @ 1960rpm (60mph) on freeway grades.

john8662
12-08-2003, 22:41
Britannic,

Thanks for the responce, I think i will trade off the intercooler for some cash to help out the project a little further and re-coop some money spent on the turbo ($225). I will be on the lookout for a dodge cummins intercooler as I have seen these adapted in chevy trucks before during cummings conversions.

I would have checked out the images posted in your sig but you have to sign up for imagestation in order to view your album. I just didn't want to create another account to keep up with. I'll sign up and check it out though.

The next plans, I don't have a 4911 IP, but a freshly rebuilt pump calibrated for a 91 1-ton. Just for a J series. I have standard 6.2 injectors in it now, but have a set of 6.5 injectors that I will put in it when I put the turbo on. I will also have to check the timing. It is set line to line right now, the engine has very low miles on it. I don't think the chain has streched that much to need the timing gears or re-timed yet. But I am in the process of finding a used MT480 timing meter to check timing on the 86 burb and my 86 pickup.

Thanks again!

britannic
12-09-2003, 07:28
Thre's a couple of MT480 timing meters on eBay right now, this one looks like it's a good deal: eBay MT 480 Auction (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43998&item=2446835244).

mhagie
12-09-2003, 12:37
Britannic, there is two snap-ons and a rotunda timing meter on e-bay,do you have a clue as to their approximate worth?
If I remember you have both bought from e-bay.
Thanks,Merle

Dieselboy
12-09-2003, 15:20
mhagie, what fan do you have on your engine?

britannic
12-09-2003, 16:03
Originally posted by mhagie:
Britannic, there is two snap-ons and a rotunda timing meter on e-bay,do you have a clue as to their approximate worth?
If I remember you have both bought from e-bay.
Thanks,Merle An MT480 in good working condition can be worth up to $170.00.

The Rotunda has proven to be a great unit for my purposes, but I'm not sure of the value. Since they're digital, I'm sure they can be worth as much as the MT480 - I got mine NIB for under $30.00 though. Not many people realize they can be used for the GM diesel, as they were originally made for timing Ford PSDs, so this may lower the price. They have a much more flexible offset range, so you can time off of several cylinders (convenient, because my #3 is the most reliable and accessible).

For both meters, check that the glow plug port probe and magnetic pickup are functional and not damaged in any way.

[ 12-09-2003, 08:49 PM: Message edited by: britannic ]

mhagie
12-09-2003, 20:16
Dieselboy, I really hate to admit this but I can't remember where the fan came from.
It was either off the original 350 that was in my truck, it was a HD unit with what some call the snowplow option 3 leaf front springs and a skid plate under the t/case OR it came off my old 82 olds 5.7 diesel I had.
I kind of lean toward the HD 350 it also has a HAYDEN fan clutch.
The fan has 7 blades and when cold start up it roars.
Bummer, sorry I can't help more :( Merle