PDA

View Full Version : MECH. PUMP & LOW SULFUR FUEL

DA BIG ONE
10-21-2004, 23:49
With all the changes to diesel I have been wondering if the mech pumps can hold up to the low sulfur fuels, or?

The pump I am considering is the 300HP marine pump.

catmandoo
10-22-2004, 04:05
run bio.it's supposed to have some excellent lubricating properties.so i'm told,haven't tried it yet.

DA BIG ONE
10-22-2004, 07:50
Originally posted by catmandoo:
run bio.it's supposed to have some excellent lubricating properties.so i'm told,haven't tried it yet. Only 2 Bio-Diesel distributors here in Florida, no retail, so it is in 55 gal drums, or bulk, each requires delivery, or pickup. At $2.90 gal. + delivery not such a good deal yet.

Peter J. Bierman
10-23-2004, 05:39
Overhere in Europe we run a wile on low to no suphor fuel and from what I can tel there are not more or different problems with the pumps.
A lot the 6.2's are ex US army and run the heavy duty mill spec pumps but even the electronic 6.5's I know about do not suffer from the fuel.
I run the 300 marine pump with no trouble what so ever and do not use extra additives.

Main thing is as always to use good quality clean fuel and you'll be alright.

I even heard from members running the same truck in both Europe and the US that the truck seems to run better on the European low sulphor fuel :rolleyes:

This is first hand expiriance in Europe but all stations sell large quantities dieselfuel since 1/3 off the cars run on it.
I have heard from members finding good fuel in the US can be a problem.

The low sulphor should not be a problem.

Peter

CleviteKid
10-23-2004, 06:08
Peter has overcome so many disadvantages, being so far from the source of the parts to work on his Yankee GM diesel engine, that he deserves the break he gets on European fuel quality.

Here in the U.S., most of us run some sort of fuel treatment. I have used Stanadyne Blue Label, Kennedy's cetane improver, and a little TC-W3 two-stroke oil.

At the risk of being repetitive - it is not the sulfur in the fuel that helps the pumps, it is other hydrocarbon compounds that are also removed by the refining treatments that lower the sulfur. The additives listed above for diesel fuel restore some of these benefial compounds, or add chemicals even better than those that occur naturally.

As Peter says, the military or Arctic specification pumps are better able to handle low lubricity fuel, so when you buy a newly rebuilt pump, find out about those upgrades.

And on a related topic, we actually have very good diesel lubricating oils available here, and there is no real need to put any additive in the oil. Yes, some of you will remember that I throw in a pinch of STP red label to increase the zinc (diaryl-dialkyl) dithiophosphate (ZDP, or ZnP if you are from Lubrizol) concentration, but that is entirely optional.

Dr. Lee :cool:

DA BIG ONE
10-23-2004, 16:31
To all of you, Thanks!