PDA

View Full Version : Issues with 700r4 install

shamanie
02-17-2005, 19:06
New tranny from tci, torque converter, and tv cable.

The 1-2 shift wouldn't happen till 25-30 mph. The 2-3 shift wouldn't happen till 45-50. The 1-2 shift was very hard. The 2-3 shift was hard but not as much as the 1-2.

Took it back to the shop and they made some adjustments to the cable via under the hood.

The shifts got a ton better, but, it seemed, after getting on it a bit, it went back to very high shifts.

He would adjust it again and it seemed ok then after friving for a bit it would go back to shifting really late.

Thanks for the help.

DmaxMaverick
02-17-2005, 20:52
Probably just the friction lock on the TV cable. That is the part the cable goes into from the pump. If it's not holding, and there is nothing obviously wrong or misalligned, you'll need a new TV cable.

You might try taking it out and cleaning it with some brake cleaner. If it got some grease or debris in it, it could make it slip. Check the cable for broken strands, chafed housing or kinks that could cause extra stress.

britannic
02-18-2005, 06:19
Don't drive it too long with the cable out of adjustment. A slack TV cable causes low drive pressure and will result in destruction of your 700R4 clutches due to excessive slipping.

There ia only one setting for the TV cable - "tuning" is limited to increasing drive pressure from a minimum baseline at idle in Drive.

Stray Cat
02-18-2005, 09:52
It is definitelt in your Throttle Valve. Either the Cable is sticking, as said earlier, or the valve itself is sticking. The valve has a return spring, it may be weak or damaged. The valve itself may be damaged or have debris on it causing it to bind. The TV is under the transmission pan, on the passenger side of the transmission, near the front of the transmission. It is easily removed and inspected. The spring tension is important! The spring is inexpensive and easily replaced. I have an electronice document that explains in detail, with great pictures and illustrations, on how to set-up and adjust a TH-700R4. If you want me to send you a copy, E-mail me at Robert.W.Jones@med.ge.com and I will attach it to the reply.

Stray Cat
02-18-2005, 10:12
It is definitelt in your Throttle Valve. Either the Cable is sticking, as said earlier, or the valve itself is sticking. The valve has a return spring, it may be weak or damaged. The valve itself may be damaged or have debris on it causing it to bind. The TV is under the transmission pan, on the passenger side of the transmission, near the front of the transmission. It is easily removed and inspected. The spring tension is important! The spring is inexpensive and easily replaced. I have an electronice document that explains in detail, with great pictures and illustrations, on how to set-up and adjust a TH-700R4. If you want me to send you a copy, E-mail me at Robert.W.Jones@med.ge.com and I will attach it to the reply.

shamanie
02-18-2005, 16:24
This is probably the most trying experience I have ever had with a vehicle.

I contacted tciauto.com this morning and spoke with Lowel. I explained that the shop installed the transmission, the torque converter and the new tv cable. After driving the vehicle and determining that something was VERY wrong I took it back and they made adjustments to the cable, but as was said...

"There is only one setting for the TV cable -"tuning" is limited to increasing drive pressure from a minimum baseline at idle in Drive."

So, Lowel said that they needed to adjust the cable, but I countered that numerous adjutments had been made and the trasmission, after the adjustment would initially "fix" the high and hard shift, after a few minutes, it would resume its erratic behavior.

I told Lowel to call the shop and have a go over with the guys their to determine what was going on.....The shop took the initiative to change out the "new" tv cable and put the old one back in...that didn't solve it either.....and the message lowel left at tciauto.com as of 3pm pacific was "i'll be out of town indefinately".

WTF is going on?!

TomEichenberger
02-18-2005, 17:12
Hoo boy,Been there done that. I put in the new 700R4 (and adjusted the new TV cable according to reccomended proceedures), the other week,and the shift points were all wrong, wouldn't shift into 4th etc., etc. The next day , the whole trannie failed.(wouldn't shift out of first.)

Took it my local trannie shop,& it was in the valve body. Long story short, that aroesol flush crap from NAPA(or whomever, doesnt work).

Have em check/clean/flush the valve body, and replace the the TV spring (is it for consistent tensioning?).

shamanie
02-18-2005, 17:35
Originally posted by TomEichenberger:
Hoo boy,Been there done that. I put in the new 700R4 (and adjusted the new TV cable according to reccomended proceedures), the other week,and the shift points were all wrong, wouldn't shift into 4th etc., etc. The next day , the whole trannie failed.(wouldn't shift out of first.)

Took it my local trannie shop,& it was in the valve body. Long story short, that aroesol flush crap from NAPA(or whomever, doesnt work).

Have em check/clean/flush the valve body, and replace the the TV spring (is it for consistent tensioning?). I never felt a 4th gear either. And that sounds very similar to my problem....it seemed like first gear just kept getting taller and taller...

shamanie
02-23-2005, 12:38
Problem solved. The TV cable provided by TCI was not working correctly. Put the old TV cable in and I'm living the life.....I think.

It's a performance transmission. I actually have to back off the throttle to get it to soft shift. If I leave on the throttle while I shift from 1 to 2 it's real hard.

But I am very happy.

avr4
02-23-2005, 21:12
Hey Guys, Have you got the "diesel " govoner in the 700R4.....?

G. Gearloose
02-24-2005, 03:10
My TCI hit hard enough to loosten fillings.

Ended up intercepting the 4wd signal with a dash switch, that disables lockup until in 4th; else lockup is 2-3-4 in 2wd mode. Made casual driving less disturbing for passengers. Perhaps consider that option.

shamanie
02-24-2005, 21:20
Originally posted by G. Gearloose:
My TCI hit hard enough to loosten fillings.

Ended up intercepting the 4wd signal with a dash switch, that disables lockup until in 4th; else lockup is 2-3-4 in 2wd mode. Made casual driving less disturbing for passengers. Perhaps consider that option. Gearloose, you my friend are a freakin life saver....I was just thinking to myself on the may home "jesus christ, is this normal?"

The 1-2 shift is off the hook hard. I have to completely back off the throttle to have any semblence of a smoothe shift...Is this normal for the TCI?

I need more info on what it is you did to soften the shifts.....cause i'm gonna go crazy.

Did you, in essence, fool the tranny into thinking that the vehicle is in 4wd via a switch?

shamanie
03-04-2005, 19:39
UPDATE...

Well, it's been 500 miles. I took it to the shop today to have the tranny flushed and filter changed....also to have a major leak checked... :mad: ...I lost about a half quart over the period I had the truck back.

On a good note, the tranny has really softened up. The shifts are not as hard in 1-2 and not too bad in 2-3, and perfect in 3-4.

I am very pleased with the performance of the transmission. When I used to get on the freeway it would quickly kick down on any type of hill, but now will just glide right through it with out missing a beat. I can do about 70-75 @3-5 psi of boost, in the 600-950 egt range. If I really get on the throttle, that shift is rock solid and kicks super hard.

Feels good though...thanks for all the help you guys.

G. Gearloose
03-05-2005, 03:33
Whoops, sorry shamanie, I fogot to find and look at this again...

Its been over a decade since I ran that trannie, its in the cellar waiting for me to put together my M1009.

After reviewing the factory schamatics for my model year, I found the appropiate color wire in the harness to the left off the brake pedal, I believe...added a single pole switch (with the obligatory wikked cool flip up red cover) to the dash to disable/enable lockup in 2 and 3.

If someone else used the truck, and I forgot to close the switch, no ill effect because if they went on the highway, it would still lockup in fourth - no harm.

I only ran it a year before the truck was t-boned hard (80-100 mph), and shifts never really softened up significantly on their own. TV was adjusted and rechecked.

I think I adjusted my foot more than the tranny softened, laying off in concert with an expected shift.

First 1-2 shift I observed after installation I nearly soiled my pants, sounded like a tree fell on the truck, typically chirping 35" mudders with an NA j-code.

Glad things are working out for you.