PDA

View Full Version : starter bolt torque

pstrother
02-19-2005, 11:34
Can anyone tell me what the torque on the starter motor attachment bolts would be? :confused:

john8662
02-19-2005, 20:08
I haven't found the torque rating in my books, but I've been using 30-35 ft. lbs. I don't want the bolts TOO tight, as I've had one break, and it's sure easier to remove the broken off piece out of the hole thats only torqued 30. Just make sure to tighten the bolt that holds the back of the starter to the block, with the bracket.

Brianlar
02-19-2005, 22:39
The TDP R & R guide says 40lbs. for the main bolts. Also reccomends new ones as well.

More Power
02-22-2005, 15:53
Brian is absolutely correct. New bolts are cheap insurance. And, don't forget to install the front support bracket. Most broken starter bolts are the result of improper bolt torque or a missing/broken front bracket.

It's a good idea for all 6.2/6.5 owners to check the condition of the front starter bracket once in a while (like every 10-20K miles or so).

MP

bmiszuk
02-22-2005, 18:41
Are all 6.2's supposed to have a bracket? My 93 6.5 had one, but my 83 6.2 has no bracket, just the two bolts holding the starter.

More Power
02-22-2005, 20:57
Yes, all 6.2 and 6.5 engines are supposed to have a front support bracket. Without one, you'll eventually experience broken bolts and other bad things ($$$).

For just a few dollars, you can get a 1982-88 6.2L Front Support Bracket PN-14028931.

MP

jonflies
02-26-2005, 04:12
My 82 burb came to me without the bracket and I eventually had to easy-out one of the main bolts and because I was laying on my back drilling, I went in slightly off. After the old piece finally came out, I ended up having to drill the one of the main holes bigger, retapping to a larger size. I've safey-wired the bolts to keep them from backing out.

CleviteKid
02-26-2005, 08:03
40 ft-lb is the correct value, and it is easy to put the torque wrench on the two main bolts at EVERY oil change. If the torque is correct you don't need safety wire. Any of you have safety wire on your lug nuts?

Ditto everyone in that all diesel starters need the correct front bracket.

Dr. Lee :cool:

More Power
02-26-2005, 17:04
Back in the late 80's, after experiencing my second broken starter bolt, I visited a local dealership to learn whether there was supposed to be a front starter bracket (mine didn't have one). They looked through the parts book - didn't find anything, and even told me there wasn't supposed to be one..... Uh huh....

It got to the point where I was concerned about driving the truck out of the valley, so I spent an afternoon on the creeper and in the workshop looking at the problem. I saw that the block had a tapped boss above the front of the starter, and that there was a stud on the front of the starter.... So I fabricated a bracket. I felt pretty smug, and never had another broken bolt.

Only after developing a relationship with another local dealership (with a good parts dept) soon after TDP was launched did I learn that GM did in-fact offer an OEM bracket.

In the late 90's I bought a 1994 SRW K3500 6.5TD Chevy. It also came without a front starter bracket, and the two transmission crossmember mounting bolts were missing as well. Didn't take long to correct those probs.

The moral of the story is to always make certain that the bracket is doing its job.

MP

jonflies
02-27-2005, 09:27
Dr. Lee, of course my lug nuts are not safety wired, but they're nice, clean threads, not like the set I had to cut laying on my back in the driveway. I'm afraid to put 40-lbs on them.

Hye
02-28-2005, 08:06
I found that a 1/4" left hand twist drill bit will remove broken starter bolts in a few seconds. Use a short piece of aluminum or soft metal tubing to keep it centered and away from the threads.
A standard length bit was a little too short. Use your imagination to make an extension.